Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Don't You Hate Self Adhesives That Won't Soak

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
24 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampboylife to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I mostly end up losing the stamp, either rips or thins out like in the picture. Any tips?

Call me old school, but I wish they still had the lick'em & stick'em stamps!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2088 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most postal administrations removed the water soluble layer at some point in time to prevent re-use. So, you have to adjust your collecting methods because soaking will only degrade the stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1139 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Leave the stamps on paper, trim to look presentable.

Robert
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little Pure Citrus air freshener sprayed on the back side will allow the stamps to be peeled off paper after a couple of moments. Rub a little talc on them to negate the residual stickiness. Search the forum for more info on this. Some other solvents work the same way. Don't let them "soak" too long with this, though, as it will also make the cancellation ink run.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3506 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Yes, most postal administrations removed the water soluble layer at some point in time to prevent re-use ...

While that certainly 'makes sense', I wonder if if correctly reflects the basis for the change(s).

It would make sense that postal authorities would experiment with different PSAs applied in different ways.

The water-soluble layer may have been there as a matter of production methodology, and not for the convenience of stamp collectors.

Similarly, any change(s) to to production methodologies that did not include a water-soluble layer may have had more to do with cost, or with a new PSA that could be more readily applied directly to the stamp, or with considerations of shipping & storage & shelf life, etc.

Sadly, its not always about us and, moreover, when it is (can you spell D-u-n-e-s) we're none too pleased, either.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who offers five talc-less words on Pure Citrus: shpritz, scrape, re-shpritz, re-scrape, clean!)
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Trainwreck.
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Self sticks that won't soak in water are a major contributor to the demise of stamp collecting in the USA, and the reason I won't collect US beyond year 2000. You guys have fun!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think trying to remove self adhesives from the backing paper is pointless. Trim neatly as trainwreck suggests or become really modern and collect everything on cover, after all the envelope and full cancellation has a story to tell.
I doubt that self adhesive stamps are "a major contributor to the demise of stamp collecting in the USA" the world has moved on and people collect other things or pursue other interests with a more rapid payback in excitement and enjoyment.
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one has actual evidence of the 'demise of the hobby'. People who espouse this opinion are inevitably relying upon pre-internet metrics. Metrics like; 'national or local club memberships are declining', 'there are fewer brick and mortar dealers' or 'prices have fallen'. These metrics have all been impacted by collectors interfacing with the hobby online. New metrics are needed, but no one has been able to develop these.
So anytime you see/hear someone opine that our hobby is dying; ask them what metrics they are using and how they are factoring in the online aspects of the hobby.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
509 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with Trainwreck. If the industry changes because of customer opinion (that's the customer who uses postage stamps for actually mailing cards, payments, corresponding via letter not collectors) then those who collect need to find a way to adjust & maintain their collections. I find these 'complaints' of non-soakable somewhat tiresome. Rather than move back, moving forward to trim & place would be beneficial. I have trimmed several issues (unique postmarks) placed in my album and find that they do not detract in any way.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
423 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampboylife,
I have had success with a couple of methods, but you have to be a lot more patient than usual.
Use only COLD water, put the stamp in the water, push it under the water line, and leave it over night.
The back will become very gumy. Carefully peal the envelope away. I have success with this about 2/3rds of the time, sometimes it still damages the stamp.
Also, instead of soaking in water, soak in lighter fluid. While water breaks down dry gum, and lighter fluid doesn't, for the same reason the opposite is true with an adhesive. Acetone breaks this down.
This is tricky also, and you need to gently wipe away the gum.
Valued Member
Thailand
57 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is so funny to read now after my long hiatus (many, many decades) from collecting and recent return to the hobby. Self adhesive stamps back in my day were called "stickers" and no one dared to collect those! LOL.
Edited by BattleshipRB23 - 03/14/2019 11:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
797 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The forum has a number of threads on how to remove PSA stamps. There are a number of techniques.

I use Bestine, a solvent used by artists to remove glue. It's N-Heptane.

A couple of drops on the back of the stamp and the paper turns translucent. You can then peel the stamp off the paper. The back of the stamp is still sticky. I then lay the stamp on a flat surface and add a couple more drops of Bestine and carefully scrape the remaining glue off the stamp with an old credit card.

Seems to work great for me! I've been doing this for a number of years and I haven't seen any adverse effects on my stamps.

Dan

Edit: spelling
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Edited by danstamps54 - 03/14/2019 3:03 pm
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No more frustration here for the past few years since I perfected my own skills with using the Pure Citrus air freshener spray to remove self adhesives.

The pure citrus works great. With a little practice, the results are really nice. Just spray it on, wait a couple minutes, carefully peel the paper from the stamp, and I like to scrape the gooey residue away with the edge of a credit card.

It's available at Amazon or home depot, at least.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Pure-Citru...22/202528023

Matt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05