Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Different Varieties of Ronsonol?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
797 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danstamps54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I watermark with Ronsonol. Recently when it came time to replenish my supply, I found two types of Ronsonol. One had a red cap and said it was a light petroleum distillate. This is the type I normally use without a problem.
The other had a blue cap and said it was useful for removing labels, grease, tar and oil stains. I wouldn't think this is good for a mint stamp.
Both bottles stated they were lighter fuel. The bottles were very similar in design. Had I been in a "grab-and-go" mode, I wouldn't have noticed the difference until I got home and actually read the bottle.
Has anyone used the "blue cap" Ronsonol?
Dan

Send note to Staff
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2088 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen the blue cap Ronsonal, but I agree with you that it doesn't sound suitable for use with stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using yellow plastic Ronsonal blue cap containers for a number of years now (bought from Walgreen's) with no adverse affects I can detect. My guess is that the new verbiage was added to make it seem more attractive, a sales gimmick, but that nothing in the mixture had changed. YMMV
Edited by GrandpaJohn - 03/13/2019 2:10 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yellow top for me also.
Of late, due to the tyranny of distance (Major Shops 100km away)
I have been using Ventti
The "extra refined" offered some encouragement.
N.O.S. 1268

Edited by rod222 - 03/13/2019 6:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One alternative to Ronsonol if it gets hard to find is VM&P Naptha which appears to be what Ronsonol is basically. Home Depot & Lowes carry it, or did. A quart can of it was around $7 a couple years ago. YMMV...
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a reminder to use any aromatic fuel in a well ventilated area and in non smoking non open flame mode.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
797 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for their input!

It seems from what GrandpaJohn said that perhaps Ronsonol is simply trying to rebrand its product.

Dan
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with lighter fuels of all makes is that they're useful for removing labels etc from items, cleaning old 45s etc. Like white spirit, their general household use extends well beyond their intended use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
889 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I've been using Ronsonol for years. A little while ago I read that another lighter fluid company is producing the Ronsonol brand. It seems, as written, that the new Ronsonol has a "greasy" feel that the original did not.

Can anyone verify this?

Jerry B

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3351 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zippo bought out Ronsonol and the patents in 2010.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
999 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ronsonal lighter fluid is light Naphtha. Ventii appears to be a "private label" of the same product. I would look and/or ask for a MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) to compare the contents.. required to be carried by ANY store selling the product. OR, you can always just pop the cap and use the use the "sniff" test as all Lighter fluid is light Naphtha with a scent. Anyway, I would test the product on a really cheap stamp before using on an expensive one. Better to be safe than sorry! And remember, don't leave a stamp in the lighter fluid for more than the time it takes to have the stamp go translucent and see a watermark-- about 3 seconds. The less time the better.
Edited by Hal - 03/15/2019 01:58 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For a number of years I have used lighter fluid to check watermarks I notice that whichever brand I look at the ingredients mention 0.1% aliphatics. A micro biologist tells me this is a 100th part something oily. He gave me some Anhydrous alcohol which he reckons is a purer alcohol, but I've not tried it yet. I have never noticed or herd of anyone noticing any oily residue damaging stamps tested for watermarks with lighter fluid. What do people do to check the watermarks on very dark stamps?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do people do to check the watermarks on very dark stamps?

Trial and error.
I use my battery lit stamp magnifier, upside down on stamps of Malaya.
It has 2 LED lights, when you hover the stamp over the back lit, the Crown CA Watermark, or varieties, is easily seen.

I have a descending order, check perforation size can ID the stamp, try against a dark background, hold to back light, Ronsonal, and if I REALLY need to ID, and the stamp is used, water, that rarely fails.

The stamps of Brazil will test one's patience.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The stamps of Brazil will test one's patience.

Amen, to that! I find Argentina very difficult as well.

I have been using the "blue cap" Ronsonol without negative effects.

Don
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod222. never thought of trying water, where can I buy it in small quantities? Do you think Fosters would work?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
797 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll second the Amen to Brazil stamps testing your watermarking patience!

Looks like there are two "blue cap" users that didn't experience problems.

Dan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05