Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Heads-up On Siegel Results At San

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4402 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   6:22 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious to know whether this bug has affected anyone else.

I bid on and won a lot in Tuesday's Siegel auction on SAN. I heard them say my paddle number and the auction log showed me as the winner. I stayed online, and didn't hear them reopen any lots. SAN showed me in green as the winner of the lot.

Fast forward to this morning and I'm browsing some other lots in the remaining Siegel sessions this week, and happen to go to My Bids... and I'm no longer the winner of the lot. The realized result is the same dollar amount, but SAN shows my bid in red as $0.

So in a bit of a panic I call Siegel, and they still show me as the winner of the lot; so presumably the screw-up is somewhere on SAN's end.

I just received my auto-generated results (not the same as an invoice) from Siegel, and the bug appears to have propagated through to their end. Bid of $0 but the "Success" field shows "YES".

People may want to double-check things and if you think you won lots, keep an eye on the results and invoice(s).
Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/13/2019 6:24 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was monitoring and bidding throughout much of the sale - just got my email from Siegel, and it matches what SAN says for my winnings and losings.

I will say that on lots that had multiple bidders bidding all at once, when I was trying to bid, it would often wedge-up and I was unable to get the bid button to have any effect until the flurry of activity subsided. This is an old issue, of course, and I played around with the refresh time on SAN, but it didn't seem to help much. I missed one lot, that didn't really matter, because of this.

Where I'm going is maybe they had some sort of lag-delay sync issue ... you would think that with an atomic commit (CS talk) that your bid amount and the fact that you were the top bidder would atomically be both recorded, immutably. Clearly, that didn't happen here - I hope it gets cleared up.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
356 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SAN shows the one lot on which I bid as a loss with a bid of $0. Siegel's invoice shows a loss also but with my proper bid amount. I think SAN is having a bit of a bug. As long as Siegel has the right end result, presumably all good.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1248 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do a screen capture at the instant I win a lot on SAN, then save the image to my computer.
Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@cjpalermo1964 - screen shot (print screen) indeed very smart!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
545 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Screen capture. Great point, but of course the auction house has the reserved right to correct any errors.

I just bid with a canadian auction house through San a couple weeks ago and got a surprise afterward. It closed 1 1/2 hrs before the actual auction, so I kept fingers crossed. The lots got closed and I waited for the sold prices to be populated afterward.

Great I won several items. Not all were at the maximum I had placed. I checked the san page after the auction and it showed the lots closed and the winning bid which I recorded. Then when I received the invoice after the auction was completed I was surprised to find four of the lots had their prices pushed up to the maximum. The final results page also show the higher closing price.

I asked what had happend, and was told that the prices were only the closing price posted on the san website and that the competition pushed it up. I do not think that was correct as two lots were pushed up by one increment during auction and it showed the higher price after the auction. Then when the final prices were posted they were up to their maximums.

Anyone else ever experience this sort of thing before.
Edited by No1philatelist - 03/13/2019 10:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the issue with the Live Siegel sale is a new issue, then I wonder if it has anything to do with their move to the cloud...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any issues email Tom.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05