Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Farley Imperfs?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1968 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add eyeonwall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Given what else is in the lot, it is difficult to believe the 843a, 844a and 846a are real.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpiri...AOSwb1NciYxs
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else having difficulty with that link? I am unable to open??? Keep getting "This site can't be reached" error message.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1076 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Farley's appear to be genuine, but that is only a small part of the lot and this seller is known to have stamps which are questionable.

Given the nature of the seller, I would be wary of what you see as available from this dealer.

Just my opinion....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5755 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I can see this lot is worth a lot less at retail then the current bid.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4402 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Given what else is in the lot, it is difficult to believe the 843a, 844a and 846a are real.

What are those numbers? My 2019 Scott Specialized doesn't have "a" letters for those numbers.

There's a lot of quantity in this lot, but the vast majority are minor EFOs... stuff that's a tough sell for more than a few bucks each. The Farleys look interesting though, and if genuine, there would be a lot of value there... almost too much to be found in a lot like this, given the catalogue value of the Farleys compared to the values of everything else. They stick out conspicuously. Some of those in plate block form are unvalued in Scott. If legit, there would be $40-50,000 Scott in just the Farleys...

Per the Scott Catalogue: "Beware of fakes of the part-perforate errors of Nos. 740-749, including those with gum"

This is a seller I tend to stay away from.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever you approach a collection, one of the best things you can do is assume something is not going to be what you were expecting. When you buy collections, your bid should reflect that. So decide what risk you are willing to give those parts, and what you are confident in, and then bid accordingly.
We never assume VF and faultless when we approach how we value our bid on a collection. It's a practice that serves us well. Sometimes, you find a gem.
I've bought from Nobelspirt before. There is always authentic and some mis=IDd or faked items. I don't specifically blame this seller, they are just turning over what they pickup from where ever they get them. If you want to know about a specific item, ask them to send you a closeup, they've always done it for me.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gracious, someone went full bore with a perf machine. They're all fakes. A whole box of 743a pairs when only 15 exist. A mess of 744a's when a single sheet of 50 is known.

And the El Capitan souvenir sheet of 6, I believe, was never found perforated as an error. Wacky.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They buy tons of bulk material at Rasdale and others. Why did they not break out the Farley's seperately? Why are they not in a Siegel sale with certs and strong bidding in the thousands? Yeah, that is why.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not aware of the perforated version of this sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5755 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone want to try figuring the odds on someone having multiple examples of "imperf between" plate blocks? And if one did have them, and you were a known dealer, at the very least wouldn't you show them to someone knowledgeable? Or send them in for certs? No, $50,000 or $60,000 worth of stamps if genuine would wind up added to a mediocre large lot on eBay. Right.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5755 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I have seen some perforated souvenir sheets before. Someone having fun.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5755 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lot as it sits is probably worth $75-$100 to an EFO collector, so it is already gone way beyond it's actual value. Just what the seller was hoping for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1968 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   3:47 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"What are those numbers? My 2019 Scott Specialized doesn't have "a" letters for those numbers"
typo - should start with 7 not 8. 743a, 744a and 746a

"Anyone want to try figuring the odds on someone having multiple examples of "imperf between" plate blocks? And if one did have them, and you were a known dealer, at the very least wouldn't you show them to someone knowledgeable? Or send them in for certs? No, $50,000 or $60,000 worth of stamps if genuine would wind up added to a mediocre large lot on eBay. Right."

Exactly. They are just fishing for suckers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, they highlight a sales receipt in there from the EFO collector's club, for $265+tip. For whatever that is worth.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5755 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bupkis is what it is worth. Anyone bidding $400+ for this lot expecting those to be genuine deserves what he/she gets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1076 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were dealers in the late 1930's-1940's who had an overabundance of the special printings. When the USPOD offered to gum full sheets, some of them did so and then privately perforated them to facilitate sale as discount postage.

I showed a couple of perf 14 items which may have originated with Y. Souren (his corner card is on the cover).

I had not noticed the large number of part perfs when I commented earlier, so I withdraw the opinion that they look okay. As someone pointed out, genuine ones are scarce with only 15 pair accounted for at present. It's doubtful any others would surface.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05