Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Cent Cut - Opinion Request

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Italy
5 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add elettro69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning,

in an old album I found the stamp visible in the photo. It is cut on the right side (originally? In this case do you have any idea about its value?). Thank you all.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
423 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us a photo of the back, and also can you perf it? My incling is perf 11, but can't tell from the photo.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
641 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be Scott 538, P. 11 x 10, but with scizzor-cut perforations at right.

The 2019 Scott catalog values it at $9.00 used VF. This stamp has average centering with perforations cutting-in at bottom. With this centering and the perforations cut at right, it's retail value should be about 10% at best of catalog value (90c) from a dealer, and less if you would want to sell it.
Edited by orstampman - 03/14/2019 11:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1126 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left and right perforations of a Perf 11 x 10 coil waste stamp, Scott 538 must be aligned because a stroke perforator was used to perforate what would have been the coil perforations. The top and bottom perforations would have been added to the coil web fragments later with a flat plate line perforator. The top and bottom perforations gauge perf 11. The left and right side perforations, or what is left of them appear to be perf 11 also. The width of the stamp will have to be checked using another flat plate stamp from the same series. Odds are that the stamp is a Scott 498. The odds that the stamp is a perf 11 coil waste Scott 545 are low. The margins are too big for a coil waste stamp.
Edited by cfrphoto - 03/14/2019 12:33 pm
Valued Member
Italy
5 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elettro69 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you very much ClassicPhilatelist, orstampman & cfrphoto. I send a back picture of stamp.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
423 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi elettro69,
Ok, now we have mostly enough to identify this.
It's a flat plate printing, we can see by the bits of green ink on the back of the stamp.
It's either Perf 10 or Perf 11, I'm going to guess 11, just based on view.
That matches only 1 stap, a Scott #498. It has a catalog value used of about 35 cents. It is one of the most common varieties of the 1c Washington. It will also be without watermark.

Of the slight chance I'm wrong about the perf, the other possibility is perf 10.
That would make it either a 424 (single line watermarked) with a CV of 25 cents or a 462 (no watermark) with a CV of 35 cents.
If you get a perf gauge and it perfs 11 you know what you have.
If it perfs 10 then you need to put it in watermark fluid to make a positive ID.

The pefs at the left (front) of the stamp have simply been cut with a scissor, probably when someone opened the letter it was originally on...

Edit: Picture added below to show your perfs are the same at top/bottom as left/right so it is NOT a perf 11 x 10...

I used Photoshop to copy the perf from top and aligned it to the side, they are identical.
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 03/14/2019 4:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1126 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A count of complete perforations between the left and right side of the design identifies the stamp as perf 11. Setoff (ink flecks) on the back identifies the stamp as flat plate. Only one choice remains: Scott 498.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
641 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Clark and Classic - I stand corrected. I should have checked the photo aspect ratio, and noted the stroke perforator alignment, which this stamp does not have.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
423 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
orstampman, you know, when trying to ID a stamp from a photo, it's really double tough. I make mistakes looking at photos that I would never making having the item in hand. But it frustrates me nonetheless when I do. ><
That's why with perfs in particularly lately I've taken to using Photoshop to verify them before I make a call. And counting the perfs I had expected it to be perf 11, but with a wide margin stamp like this, I just wasn't too sure.
Clark is of course the Godfather of WFs, so whatever he says is right! :)
Valued Member
Italy
5 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elettro69 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, I learned so much from your experience. I am grateful
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05