Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Postage Stamps Book From The "Ministry Of Posts & Telecom"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just purchased this great looking book of Japanese stamps published by the "Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications".

It is complete with all unused, hinged stamps except for one (Scott # 939, CV $0.30)
(corrected Scott# from original post)

I really like the book paper and quality and display (and of course the stamps)

I am not familiar with this type of book, nor am I very verse in Japanese stamps yet, but am very interested.
And a good value, I paid $6 U.S.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Turtle2900 - 03/14/2019 5:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm an interesting item, but I'm 99% certain this was not produced in Japan.
The Japanese (and least of all the postal system, which I interact with, as well as the Japan Philatelic Society) produce NOTHING in English. It's always in Japanese.
Not to mention, I'm not aware of a "Ministry of Ports and Telecommunications" in Japan either. The two are not linked in anyway.
Is there any info on the cover page, or a title page that provides any detail around the printing and publishing body?
Also, Japanese stamps go back to 1871.
When you say "Complete" what years does this cover?
I'm glad you only paid $6 for this. It looks like the kind of "collectable" items that frequently get created from very common, low value stamps (25 cents or so each), on "high quality" stock, and then sold for $50 or more as a "collectors item", which, philatelic is generally not much collectable. For what you paid, it's fine. And if you like it that's fine too, but it's not authentic in terms of being issued by any Japanese organization.

EDIT: The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications is the "telecommunications" authority in Japan. The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism is responsible for ports... so this looks totally bogus to me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 03/14/2019 1:42 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply and questions ClassicPhilatelist.
Regarding the book, I had my doubts too since it was in English but I liked the quality of the book, paper, etc. Nice display.
There are no other markings, publisher or anything else.
(maybe I should change the title of the post to "Book entitled ... Japanese stamps...)

And from just a straight CV value of the stamps, I paid around 10-12% so I think I am fine there.

And to more specific about the stamps, all are modern; starting in 1964 and ending in 1967. Looks like mostly all commemoratives.
5-6 stamps per page, 20 pages - so about 120 stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I like it, especially the paper pages, it has a look of quality.
Always a quandry, with these though, how does one incorporate it into a collection, without removing the stamps? awkward.

I would research further, it may be genuine.
I am thinking perhaps "gift" to visiting members of a company etc etc.
I have a 1940 Catalogue produced by the Tourist Bureau, all in English.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great to see your reply Rod! and so good to see your other example. You are a wealth of knowledge.
I wonder if Unechan (Hironobu) will provide any additional insights?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if Unechan (Hironobu) will provide any additional insights?

Indeed
He is one of our "go to" members, let's hope he can offer some light, either way.
Perhaps send him an email.
Edited by rod222 - 03/14/2019 8:55 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea Rod. Done !
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does not say Ports. It says Posts.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My miss read on that. I'm working on a tiny laptop screen at super-hi res while traveling at the moment.

From 1946 to 2001 there was a Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications in Japan. So that does fit. But, the two didn't merge until 1982, so that suggests this item had to be made somewhere between 1982 and 2001.
Unfortunately I'm not in Tokyo at the moment, and won't be back until 28th March. After that I can ask around, I need to make a trip out to the Postal museum around then anyway.
But... there is still the matter of being in English. VERY few things today are produced in English. In 1982, it would be almost unheard of. Japan is very stubborn in keeping only to Japanese. There is a big public debate about how this is holding the country back compared to places like China and Vietnam, that have embraced English as an enable to global business. Even in places like Tokyo, it can still be near impossible to find English speakers...

Rod, interesting... now the Tourism Bureau issuance makes more sense. The Spring JPS stamp expo is coming 29th April. I can take a photo of the book out then, and see if anyone knows anything about it.
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 03/14/2019 11:21 pm
Valued Member
Japan
234 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Apologies for the belated reply because Ifve been on the road recently...

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications have been issuing annual stamp book officially (I believe this has been discontinued since the institutional change to Japanese Post). Although I couldnft find concrete evidence on the English version, this nice example shown in this thread looks totally geniuine for me !

I shall post some images of the Japanese version (found on Web) later this evening.

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 03/16/2019 01:43 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Hironobu. As usual, I should have done some more research myself and used Google more effectively.
I see that the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications published similar books into the 1990s.
Some with stamps and some just about stamps.

There is an old thread on this topic on stamp boards too:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtop...f=10&t=30695
Valued Member
Japan
234 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turtle2600 and all,

The difficulty here is that there seems to be no clear record on the issuance of these stamp books... Judging from evidences (such as examples shown below) they have been issued annually in the 90's (at least), but the earlier issues (such as your example) may cover multiple years. It is also not clear until when the english version has been issued (in later issues, descriptions of the stamps are given in Japanese and English).

These examples are mostly taken from Yahoo auction (Japan).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Hironobu

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hironobu,
your posts are always valuable.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's strange that these look nothing like the one that the Turtle2900 posted though. They are hard bound, with covers, where his issue appears to be a different binding with padded cover. Maybe it's from earlier 1960's issues, and they changed in the 90's.
Will look into it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not uncommon for me to find these in bulk lots.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread. I found a few more examples online.
The following pictures are screen shots of recent auction items or eBay. But very interesting to see more examples.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05