Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do We Get The Younger Generation Involved?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3863 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
I would like to repeat an earlier thought: adopt one (or more) small town history museums. There are thousands of these in every country in the world, and every one of them needs a postal history exhibit, and every one of them drags the local schoolchildren through on a guided tour every now & again.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One could tie this thread to the thread about what kind of album to get for a young collector.
Al
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@classicphilatelist-I love the idea of the video game.I wil definitely play that game..kind of gives me a tomb raider feeling.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aravind,
Yeah I was thinking that, or along the "old school" lines of "Where in the World is Carmine Sandiego" kind of thing. But could involve some "arcade" style play along the way to keep them going, like you have to "win" some level and the prize is a rare stamp...
The only caveat to this idea is, it needs to be pitched to a big game maker... But since we're blue skying here, I figured I could at least throw it on the table.

Or make it "augmented reality", and instead of hunting Pokemon, hunt stamps...
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 03/20/2019 12:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@classicphilatelist- ya, getting the big game makers is going to be tough but like pokemon, it can be a mobile app game to start off.. use camera to take a pic of the stamp to move forward or something like that.. mobile app games will be lower cost..maybe APS and ATA youth funding can be used to fund the game development..Any APS /ATA board members here?
Learn More...
7398 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A silly simple game running on Android or IOS (i.e. Flappy Bird) is within reach as a one person development effort and for a reasonable development cost (<$5000).

But a nice first person game would be much higher, probably north of a few hundred thousand. What would the ROI be for development like this (expected sales/development and production costs)? What would the cost of the game be? Keep in mind that there are thousands of game to choose from and many are literally free of charge. The game 'Age of Conan: Unchained' cost more than $25 million to develop and they give it away for free now. I see no way that a stamp game would ever be cost feasible.

That said, think 'product placement'.

There are always hundreds of games in development at any given time but if a philatelic organization were to align themselves with an existing effort they might be able to get the developers to include some 'find the stamp' type theme. This would be a far more feasible approach.

I developed some kids stamp game for the World Stamp Show and also made a number of 'stamp music videos' targeted at younger people. While they were well accepted and I donated my time no one has ever gotten back to me for additional development. The under 35 year old demographic is very challenging. In decades past young people got a larger exposure to history (my opinion is that during wartimes history get more emphasis in schools). A study release this week shows 3 In 5 Millennials say life is more stressful now than ever before. Apparently Millennials are stressing out over broken smartphone screens and not getting enough 'likes' on their social media comments; makes me wonder if they have had any real exposure to history.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife is in the School Psychology field and is involved in all sorts of behavioral reinforcement projects and programs nationally. I recently floated the idea to her about seeking a grant to development educational opportunities for kids through stamp collecting. So we're in the beginning stages of framing the outline and deliverables in advance of her looking for and writing up a grant request. I will post on this periodically.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm glad that my crazy idea at least has some support. I now the "challenge" involved in something like this getting developed, and the low probability, but the question was asked "How do we get the younger generation involved", and I think something like this would help. Feasibility of it though, yeah, once again blue skying.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i found in app store a game called stamps collector - says 17+ though. will download and checkout.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps Collector is one of those "freemium" games that turns into pay to play.
Edited by craigk - 03/20/2019 4:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@craigk .. and it crashed within 5 minutes.. know any other useful apps or games for stamp collectors?
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a fantastic topic. Here is the issue with game building for mobile in general. It is an extremely competitive space to get ranked in the first few pages of games in the App Stores. It takes not only solid game design, but more-so strategic planning around game hype, and sadly this includes buying "Likes" and other shenanigans to just get noticed. Who scrolls to page 27 in an app list? That's probably where a stamp game exists unless you perform an explicit search for stamp keyword.

flappybird is an anomaly success story like stumbling upon a c3a is in stamp collecting. The odds of pulling that off are near 0. I think 51studebaker is on track with product placement.
Funding a stamp game, is likely to be a flop. Even if a ton of money is spent, I think it would yield an expensive flop.

Then I thought of Geocaching treasure hunts and how they were semi popular 5 years or more ago. That hunt was "fun" but not rewarding. Which brings me to the next app idea.

What if we peer to peer list every person's collections and create, an mega bourse. Suppose your entire collection was viewable. And mine was. That would be 13000+ collections that are browseable and searchable. Then any stamp at any time is available to be solicited for an offer. LetGo, and Craiglist, eBay allow people to list items, yes- but they're not ideal for collectors needs. The backend infrastructure would be built around transaction facilitation, that we take commisions on but non-profit to build the collector base, but the collections themselves would be decentralized like bittorrents. The idea being - every stamp is always for sale. Everyone has their parting price. This attempts to solve the liquidity problem, particularly on rarities and hoarding. If you want a c3a for $1.7M tomorrow, you don't need to wait until a Siegel auction.

What this will do is make stamp collecting accessible.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3863 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
In an earlier incarnation of this topic, someone (Don? Chris?) pointed-out that electronic distractions like video games & youtube videos were a poor filter for philately; the kids that want to withdraw their minds and passively let the 'content' poor in are not the kids who see a stamp or cover and let their mind reach out across space-time to other places, other peoples, other times.

Once upon a time, in another line of work, I happened upon a discussion of bringing young people into Engineering. The goal was to encourage & develop the Engineering Mentality, but the first task was to learn how to spot the Engineering Mentality in a young person in the first place.

Before we can encourage & develop the Philatelic Mentality, we're gonna need a good working definition of what it is, and how to spot it.

In yet another earlier incarnation of this topic, someone (Artful? Smauggie?) pointed-out that the way Philately was taught to our generation - find the stamp in the catalog, place the stamp in the album, complete the album - attracted a certain sort of person (I like to call them "Completionistas") to the hobby and, over time, the hobby came to reflect that self-selected set of behaviors.

But I think that the Philatelic Mentality is less about look-it-up-ism and fills-its-hole-ism, and more about transcendence - from seeing that inanimate little piece of paper to wondering about a whole other time & place - and I'm not confident that video games or youtube videos select for that inclination to transcend (though I will listen earnestly to people who want to argue that they would).

We might have more luck reaching into that ocean of now-pretty-much-valueless FDCs, and just handing them out to children at suitable events.

The ones whose eyes linger for more than a few seconds are our fresh blood.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would be actually more powerful for the game to not be specifically stamp themed, but make getting them a "side quest" or the like. Or make it part of the very "high value, hard to find" items in the game. It doesn't have to be hit-you-over-the-head-philately-only theme. Incorporate it into something that already exists, or convince some group producing a game to use them as incentives in the game... THEN kids get interested in it. They find it interesting there, and go looking in the real world.
Strangely, I actually started my collection in 1980 when I was in the 6th grade... I am a musician, and I was in the All City Orchestra. On the first day of rehearsal, there was a "bag of stuff" hanging on our music stands. In it for me was a 1980 Scott Pocket edition stamp book. Just from looking at the pictures in that book, I got interested, and started rooting around in neighbors atticks looking for old stamps and letters. Found my first Washington 2 Cent stamp there (it had fallen off the cover due to years of heat and cold in the US Mid-West). Never did ID it properly, and I remember it was so brittle it broke in half, so I don't have it any longer, but almost everything in my collection from 1960 - 1986 is from stuff I pulled off of letters myself. That part of the collection has almost no value, but its also some of my favorite stuff, just because of how I came to acquire it.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You know what kids collect? Pokemon. Pokemon are pretend monsters. They collect the cards and virtual ones in games. Pokemon is a $90 Billion franchise since 1996. Pokemon Go earns $68 Million a month. I doubt kids are going to get into stamps like they are into Pokemon. I don't think kids are going to get into stamps much at all any more. My kids like them becuse they see me play with stamps, but the only time a kid is going to see stamps is if they know a collector. Stamps are barely needed any more. We hardly need to ship pieces of paper around at all any more, and when we do, stamps are not required. Stamp collecting is going to be interesting to people interested in history...they just are not a significant part of modern life.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05