Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do We Get The Younger Generation Involved?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampguy112 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
YouTube is also VERY helpful, especially when they're higher quality videos.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampguy112 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more thought I just had - sorry for the multiple postings - I attended a local stamp show this weekend (a bourse, no exhibits) and was the youngest person there by at least 30 years. I realize that can be quite intimidating for a younger person and it got me thinking - how many young collectors are out there but are afraid to attend a show? What can be done to attract younger collectors to organized philately? A couple initial thoughts I think would drastically improve larger shows: bring the presentations typically reserved for outer hotel conference rooms front-and-center in the main ballroom and have a category of exhibits that is "just for fun". I can only imagine what could be done with some of the newer issues like Star Trek and Transcontinental Railroad...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another way to get youth interested is to take advantage of any opportunity to promote stamps in your local community. Talk to the children's' librarian about doing a program. I've done many presentations and activities that tied into the summer reading program. Our library also has a multicultural fair where I have a table with a box of worldwide stamps for people to dig through, along with related activities. Any time there is any kind of festival see if you can set up a table. All you need is a box of stamps and people can't resist picking out a few. Before they leave give them a flyer with your club's meeting info. We have gained several new members this way.

Someone mentioned scavenger hunts in an earlier post. I have created several that are available on the Wisconsin Federation of Stamp Clubs website. www.wfscstamps.org. Also there are a couple of "mini" albums and other activities that are free to print.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3601 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Putting my money where my keying is, I've talked a friend who is a volunteer docent at her local historical society into pitching a postal history exhibit for the town and, if they accept, I'll start buying the bits'n'pieces.

As expected, the local school kids are dragged thru the town's mini-museum on a regular basis ... let the seduction begin!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, though quote-unquote "serious" collectors disdain them, pop culture stamps can be a gateway as well. I sell recent Japan sets on eBay and hands down the best sellers are consistently the pop culture oriented stamps, such as Disney and Hello Kitty, etc. Stamps that reflect more of the traditional Japanese culture hardly move at all in comparison.

I've been collecting stamps for 47 years, so I'm hardly of the "younger generation," but I'm also a sucker for pop culture. I don't collect Japanese stamps per se, but the panes that I have bought feature the likes of Godzilla, Astro Boy, Ultraman, Gegege no Kitarô, Moomin characters, and Peanuts characters. One of the things I bought at WESTPEX last month was a pane of Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel in traditional Japanese garb (Scott #3341).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I realize that can be quite intimidating for a younger person and it got me thinking - how many young collectors are out there but are afraid to attend a show?

If you compare some stamp shows or bourses, other than looking at dealer's wares there is not much activity. They can be dull. That is why I do not go to many since my collecting does not require show dealers.

Compare this to the other types of conventions like comic con etc. These have a diverse set of activities. They have sellers, speakers, cosplay, lots of seminars, etc. This is advertised well in advance so people can plan. It is not a bunch of older guys in suits with fancy ribbons.

When I had suggested adding more seminars, I was told they come for the dealers and exhibits. I would go if seminars were more structured. Today they are all volunteer.

Al
Edited by angore - 05/15/2019 11:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1121 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I agreed on the other Forum, Al, I'll be attending the Latin American presentations at Rocky Mountain Stamp Show next week and will advise regarding approximate attendance.

As for getting youth involved, let's not forget empty nester and retiring baby boomers in their 50s and 60s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4116 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simple answer ---Do something totally different.....kids don't want to be involued in something the old people are doing .

Kids want to be involued in something where they are all equal and having fun .....get some old fart pulling out a set of $800.00 Zepplin stamps is a group fun time killer and everybody wants to leave . Kid have no problem with 100 stamps for $5.00 to enjoy until some old fart tells them to be a real collector they need to spend $500.00 on albums and mounts . Most old farts are always trying to sell stamps to young kids way above their real value .........................and .......................To all those old farts who told me at the age of 16 "that my worldwide stamp album is worthless " WELL TODAY MY WORLDWIDE COLLECTION CAN PURCHASE THREE { 3X} OF YOUR HOUSES.I will never ever get over that insult .
Edited by floortrader - 05/15/2019 12:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader

Let it go man....you won.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3601 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... MY WORLDWIDE COLLECTION CAN PURCHASE THREE { 3X} OF YOUR HOUSES ...

Q/ Would that be at full catalog?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SaborStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a high school teacher. Now and then I bring in a bag of duplicates or other stamps to give away and ask if anyone is interested in stamps. Even if they don't already collect, they often look through the pile and take some. (I put out some envelopes or little bags and tell them to just take a bunch.) I've had a number of students start collections and ask me more questions about stamps.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about passing out some old covers reminding students they are holding history in their hands?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry to be redundant, but have them learn about this guy-just got it today-I am holding a piece of history-simple but cool--
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me ask this question? How do assess the level of involvement of the the younger (or any age) generation?

1. visibility at shows
2 memberships in societies
3. visibility at a local stamp club
4. dealers reporting younger customers
5. the fact you know someone personally involved
?

I would expect companies like Mystic that does aggressive marketing to have some clue on collectors.

Since 1980, I never really knew many collectors of any age. It is not like you wear the hobby on your sleeve to advertise.

Now for me, most at work know I have an interest in stamps because my wallpaper on my work laptop is an inverted Jenny. I do a lot of presenting at meetings it gets seen a lot.

Al
Edited by angore - 05/17/2019 06:48 am
Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   07:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 'low hanging fruit' has always been the 40-60 year olds. This demographic has the time, money, and most importantly the interest, in a history-based hobby like philately. And of course many times this demographic also has inherited material and is curious about it. So if the 40-60 year old demographic is the low hanging fruit, what are the kids?

The kids are fruit tree saplings. I typically do not expect kids exposed to philately (or history in general) to immediately embrace it. Instead I consider it like planting a tree that might take years before it bears fruit.

But just because it is a longer-term thing does not mean that we should not try. We should care about the future both long and short term and seek to nurture interest for all demographics. I disagree with writing off the younger people with statements like "they are too busy texting" or "they have interests beyond a hobby like stamp collecting".
Don
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05