Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scarce 1st Issue Part Perf On An Attractive Mining Stock Certificate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4402 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   12:17 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First, my thanks to 1typesetter for tipping me off as to the auction venue. It's one I had seen in passing before, but had never taken a closer look.

This is an example of R50b, the 25-cent Warehouse Receipt part perf stamp (current Scott value of $1,300) on a stock certificate from the Jefferson Gold and Silver Mining Company, in San Francisco, California.

Several examples of this particular company's stock certificates have been found with R50b on them. There was an example in a Siegel auction last year, and another in Spink's Cunliffe collection auction in 2008.

This example, however, is a much more convincing example than either of the above examples, in my opinion. It has very large margins both top and bottom, and the top of the next stamp is showing at bottom. Typical left-right part perf off-centering.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just brilliant. Did you buy this?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4402 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it just arrived in the mail yesterday.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Super example.
One foot to each share=10 feet
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice example, indeed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3609 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
$360,000 !@#$%!

Q/ Did it, at least, sell at a discount to face value?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, that's just the collatoral of the company. The stock issue is for 10 shares at $200 each. Still a lot of cash for 1863. (About $40k in today's money).

Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These things are real interesting. I just came across the Jasmin auction that has a ton of this type of material, albeit a very disorganized lot setup. I think I saw consolidated copper company.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05