Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Special Printing 15 Cent. 1875?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Italy
171 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pisti1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning

I would like to know if this stamp is a special printing?

Thanks so much Simone

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i do not know if it is a special printing, but it is a bottom straddle margin single and a nice stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pisti,
Are you thinking it is an 1875 special printing?
Can you hold the stamp up to light, with the image facing the light, and take a photo of the back of the stamp?

I'm 99% certain it is not already, based on other clues, but I want you to post this image so I can help you know what to look for.
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 03/15/2019 10:07 am
Valued Member
Italy
171 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pisti1978 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for the answer
I can make you the image of the rectro Monday morning when I come back from vacation.I can tell you that it is without rubber and is very white
Simone
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
622 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
left side reperfed?
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simone,
What I'm having you do is known as a "luminosity test". In the light that shines through the paper, we can see lots of interesting information and detail about the stamp paper itself. I have the suspicion, that this will be a soft porous paper, and not a hard white wove, as the 1875 is on. This simple test will tell us immediately if it is a candidate or not.
Make sure the light behind it is VERY bright, and really lights up the paper from the other side.

There is another clue at the moment that is not boding well for your hope of a special printing. The perfs on this are not cut. Not in every case, but in many cases these were cut apart with scissors by the clerk who seperated and issued them at the post office. Apparently at the time, he thought it would be "nicer" for collectors.
Not all of them have this characteristic, but most do.
Of course the other thing not on your side is its scarcity, but let's not rule that out without a proper look.
And... it could be the 1880 special printing (and will look at why it is or is not that as well).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a #152, pure and simple. Looks like typical hard paper to me with genuine perfs all around. Please list it on eBay so that I can buy it!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1164 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this is a really nice stamp. Difficult to see the perforation holes and fibers as there seems to be high contrast in the image (photo or scan?), so some details may be missing.

The special printing stamps are very difficult to distinguish from the normal Continental printings and not really at all from the normal American printings. Best starting point would searching for all 15c special printings (Continental and American) at the Siegel database.
Edited by stamperix - 03/15/2019 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or you can just know that the stamp wasn't printed from a Continental/American plate!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On my monitor this stamp appears to have been "washed" of a cancellation. A lot of residual blackness above his head and other parts of the vignette background especially just under the "STAGE" of "POSTAGE". That might explain the washed out appearance. Calls identification by color into question. It does not appear to be soft paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the possible cleaning. My interest in the stamp is in the guide arrow, which is a Plate 20 guide arrow. Since Plate 20 is thought to have only been used by NBNCo, it must be a 152.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 03/16/2019 06:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1164 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hello sinclair,

I only know the overview of the guide arrows of the 3c bank note. Is there a summary of all guide arrows used in the bank note stamps, or is it all over the place?
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is a 152, but I'm trying to teach Simone how to go through the ID process, rather than just throwing the number down. Hence, I wanted to illustrate what soft porous paper looks like in light. Then they can begin to examine the LBNs with more confidence.
Hopefully they'll still post the luminosity photo...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't luminosity have to do with brightness?
Learn More...
6543 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...erTypes.html - includes example backlit image
Don
Valued Member
Italy
171 Posts
Posted 03/18/2019   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pisti1978 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning I am attaching new images of the stamp because the other one had taken the picture with my cell phone.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05