Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lest Anyone Think That Stamp Collecting is Dying...

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[
Quote:
It isn't the cert that gives them their value, it is the quality of the stamp that gives it the high value. The cert just gives the buyer comfort in what level of quality the stamp has.

There is no doubt that extra fine, jumbo margin specimens command a premium over lesser examples but there is also no doubt that the same stamp mentioned in my post, without a certificate, would not have sold for even half as much.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
615 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Siegel auction: I bid on 10 lots and was successful on 6. All were NYS covers. There was one lot (Jamaica, Long Island NY cancel( that I really wanted but I didn't feel I would be successful so I put a low bid in and was successful. So I'm happy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1082 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"common and subpar material........is in the tank" Yes and no. I'll leave out the subpar reference and focus on this question: what is "common material?"

If one is talking US stamp issues since World War II; yes, that is primarily "common material." But doesn't one need the "common material" to complete a collection? I've noticed with my main collecting specialty; Portugal & colonies through 1974-75 that I've written about before; that the so-called "common material" can be exceedingly hard to find.

With Mexico, another specialty area for me, I'm fortunate to have both sets of the National University issue of 1934, cataloging in 2016 Scott at $6,100+. But one also needs the cheapo stamps from the same period to move toward completeness. Those can be as hard to find as the cheap 1950s Portuguese colonials, unless one buys a bulk lot which then yields a lot of low catalog duplicates.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/16/2019 10:27 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Climber Steve that a collection needs the common material. If I had unlimited cash I could easily pick uo all varieties of GB Queen Victoria £5 orange. getting some 1970s GB commem can be more of a hassle, particularly if I don't want to purchase a set. There are many stamps I am assured are common that I chase for a long time. Consequently I can get more of a thrill from getting some stamp costing 50p or less at times.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thread on getting youth interested in collecting, well it might be a bit of a roadblock when they discover a very nice set of 551 - 573's might set them back $25K.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3990 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above statements there is a lot of "common" low value stamps that I never seen nor have I ever found in all the collections that I have purchased . It gets to the point after buying and mounting Worldwide stamps for almost 60 years than any collection or large lot that is purchased it will be 90% to 95% duplicates for me .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3990 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is very few dealers and collectors really understand what is common and what is "rare" in worldwide collections . It took me three years of searching just to fill my INTERNATIONAL's with a completed CAPE JUBY page .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
952 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what people are saying about some common stamps being very hard to find is true, but I wonder if these hard to find stamps are under cataloged?
Valued Member
366 Posts
Posted 03/17/2019   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As has been said before, but bears repeating: the declarations, lamentation, wailing, and gnashing of teeth over stamp collecting's demise are highly exaggerated. Stamp collecting is alive and well... it's just become more decentralized. *Organized* philately is on the wane, but the hobby is thriving on the Interwebz.

that is correct to some extent. The hobby is demizing without a doubt as more are dying than beginning in most countries.

and the interest in quality objects merely reflects a richer world where there are many who doesn't worry too much about throwing a few 1000$ at a small piece of paper.

the average to poor material continues to go down in prices where the really good stuff doesn't.

i agree with you on the decentralization and the internet collectors.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05