Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851 3c Plating Help

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wish I had some plating ability. I look through the varieties on the stampsmarter database, but I'm hopeless. I see 3c imperf, and I generally assume it's an 11 or 11A (11A in this case). But the color and the centering is urging me to investigate further. Can someone help with narrowing down my search of the plating database?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can help you! What you have is an 11A from Plate 1L. It's a B-relief position with guide dot. Usage is all but guaranteed to be January of 1852 because the color is an early 1852 claret, a color that I happen to consider is exclusive to Plate 1L... But I'm not going to plate it for you. I don't want to take all of the work out of it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   1:44 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lol thanks - I may still try to plate it just to get the experience. Where is the guide dot? Is that it on the left side near the top, just below the diamond?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   1:47 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just underneath the lower right diamond block.
Valued Member
Thailand
57 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New-York JAN 17

"B" Relief??? Where is the break in the top and bottom or tessellation impingement of the white oval? Not "C" because no shoulder gash. I was thinking "A" relief.

1L??? Guide dots should be UL & UR then if B relief... and I don't believe that is a guide dot on the bottom right. So no visible guide dots on this stamp.

Primary Inner Line is Recut variety 1; two inner lines.

Is that a possible Recut Diamond Blocks Variety 40? Lower right triangle and lower right diamond block are joined by a faint line.

Also possible Recut Triangle Variety 17; one vertical line recut in lower right triangle.
Edited by BattleshipRB23 - 03/15/2019 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   2:24 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battleship, you need to check your sights.
You're missing more often than hitting.
Valued Member
Thailand
57 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@sinclair2010 - LOL, probably so... my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Shouldn't the guide dot be a small circle and not a dash?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   2:45 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not necessarily. There is no typical guide dot. They come in all manner of appearances. Check out some guide dots on the 12c 1851 for examples of guide dots that are anything but circular.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 03/15/2019 2:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the white dot in the center of the UL rosette as being particularly off center, and those in the lower rosettes appear off center to a lesser degree. Might this help your search? Good luck!! Oh yeah, and have fun!
Valued Member
Thailand
57 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been staring at this stamp now for far too long! I am still failing to see why it is "Relief B". Would someone please indicate in red where the breaks in the oval are, as well as the tessellation impingements that would make it a "B". Sincerely appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   2:33 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I went through the database for all Relief B 1L stamps - no luck. Doesn't mean it isn't there - just either missing or my eyes missed it.
Valued Member
Thailand
57 Posts
Posted Today  13 Hrs 56 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it isn't "Relief B"???

Could you re-scan it and post again... we need more clarity on the upper left triangle and bottom right triangle areas.
Edited by BattleshipRB23 - Today 12 Hrs 0 Min ago
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted Today  5 Hrs 28 Min ago  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1889 Posts
Posted Today  4 Hrs 29 Min ago  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
48L1L. Still a B-relief from one of the rows that you would expect a B-relief to come from and also still has a guide dot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted Today  2 Hrs 48 Min ago  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's clearly it. Shows I'm really not good at this yet. I see a comment in the database that says "Can be Experimental Orange Brown". What do you think of the color? Still 11A or perhaps 10A? This latest scan is on my better scanner at 48 bit color.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1439 Posts
Posted Today  2 Hrs 35 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Experimental OB's only come from Plate 1L.
All positions on that plate were printed in that shade, for a little bit, towards the end of 1851.

Experimental OB is NOT "Orange Brown".
An experimental OB is still an 11A, not a #10A.

This stamp is not Experimental OB.
Winston gave his opinion at the start of this thread, that it was an early claret, which looks correct to me as well, from what I recall about 3c colors.

* Usual caveat emptor about scans and colors.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05