Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Postal Museum: National Stamp Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A recent pass through D.C. provided another excuse to endure all the security apparatus to see the U.S. Postal Museum on Capitol Hill. Most of you probably know that there is such a thing as a "national stamp collection" consisting of every U.S. stamp ever issued (although I saw only up through 2009 on display). The collection includes some pre-1847 postal ephemera as well. Everything is contained in a compact room that I'll guess is about 35 by 20 feet. Space management is achieved by employing wall-mounted sleeves, each about 48"x36": pull a slab completely out of its sleeve so that it can be pivoted on its hinge, et voila - a selection of mint stamps are mounted with brief explanatory captions. Photos are below - pardon my Zepp fetish.

The storage slabs:

A $1.30 Zepp plate proof:

A $0.65 Zepp plate block:

Jennies, etc:

A variety of philatelic fakes:

Send note to Staff
Edited by BFRomeos - 03/15/2019 11:52 pm

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful and fascinating place to visit.
I went last year and was very inspired. The exhibits were part of the reason (and this very forum) that led me back to philately. Cheers to all of you!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Japan
229 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THE place to visit whilst youfre in DC; my recent visit was two weeks ago during my business trip to DC. It is my pleasure to see all these gems. My favorite one from the US room is the Saint Louis postmasters provision, and always adore those cute bears :-)

I love the exhibition layout as well, especially the fact that British Guiana 1c magenta is only a couple of meters away from gtake 6 stamps itfs free and start stamp collectionh corner.

-Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 03/16/2019 03:20 am
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never been but am planning a trip to DC this summer with my wife and daughter. I'm reslly looking forward to seeing it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1082 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post. I made my only trip there in February, 2017. Thanks for the memory shake.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted Yesterday   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this, I live fairly close to DC but have never visited this place. Adding to my bucket list of things to do :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05