Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Depression-Era Stamp Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,357Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I tell people that I collect stamps, they very often respond by handing me material to take off their hands. Stuff like this:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/16/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Wish I knew more people like that! :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 03/17/2019   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I post that I collect stamps on FB and 2 friends have given me a few stamps in the last year. I keep trying.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moschophoros to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a cooy of that American Album for United States Postage Stamps - 1949 edition, same cover as in your pic. Trying to figure out what to do with it. Belonged to a distant family member. Any ideas? I love that ithas spots for cut squares, documentaries, etc. in the back. Are the pages of that era safe?
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dwwjr56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great they give the stamps to you.

Are you going to take them out of that album and add to you collection? The stamps almost look like they are pasted down and possibly not with stamp hinges. If so you might want to soak them off the pages and add to a collection if that is the area you collect that is.

Anyways have fun!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Moschophoros: Fair question. I suspect there's virtually no market for a stamp album of this vintage. The catalogue numbers change over time. Then consider the physical integrity of the album's pages and binding - it will only deteriorate with time and use. I noted no evidence of acidic pages (i.e. no damage to stamps that sat in it for over 70 years). There's some curiosity value, but how often would the bearer leaf through it? I will probably end up donating it to the local philatelic society, which seems to have an appetite for such things.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@dwwjr56: Already said and done! I harvested about 2% of the old album content for my own collection. Nothing spectacular, just venerable oldies that I needed. This collection contained PLENTY of duplicates: I now have about 150 copies of the 3-cent T. Jefferson definitive of 1938. Same for the 1.5-cent Martha Washington. Many others of negligible value. I anticipate a donation in the near future...
Edited by BFRomeos - 04/12/2019 07:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I tell people I collect stamps, they change the subject.
Valued Member
40 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Houdini to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect gold ,diamonds ,and stamps
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... When I tell people I collect stamps, they change the subject ...

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05