Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Series Stamps? New Find?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampman2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The following images just showed up today on another group I'm part of and I thought I'd share them with you guys who may not have seen them.

These are attached to a document which appears to be absolutely genuine. I have never seen these overprinted like this and they are not Scott listed.

I'd love to hear from others who may know more about revenues than I do on this.

Here's the stamps in question:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/20/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you get permission from the owner to do this?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do I need permission for something which is publicly posted? I'm trying to find out information from some of the people on this forum which might be of use to the OP on the other forum.

This is undoubtedly of interest to people on this forum.

Is there some reason you don't want this information posted here, Bart?

FWIW, I posted a notice to the OP that I had posted the images here to see if anyone had information about these stamps and would keep her informed if anything came to light.
Edited by Stampman2002 - 03/21/2019 12:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because these are not ordinary stamps, and the owner should be allowed to act on the info given at the original site before having to deal with the potential fallout from spreading the news broadly. While it is possible that someone here has another example of either, it is extremely unlikely.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What "fallout" could there be? I posted the images, without giving names or web page names, to allow anyone looking at this to concentrate on the stamps.

How do you propose anyone find out about these otherwise?

Personally, I'm more than just a little skeptical.

First, the overprints on these two stamps do not resemble anything used by the BEP in the period. For that matter, it doesn't resemble anything used by the BEP in any period.

Second, how is it that these overprints have remained completely unknown for 78 years?

I suppose it might be possible for these to be some type of provisional overprint created locally, but I'm finding it a little difficult to accept that idea.

To return to your original premise, the OP appreciated my having posted this here. Check the original post.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They appear to be very simular to the listed minor variety of R282a -$30.00 and R283a -$60.00.that are from the Series of 1940 documantary stamps. These are very scarce stamps indeed, for the $30.00 only three were known, serial numbers: 536092, 536124 and 536127, and only one of the $60.00 serial number 201041. You can see 2 of the 3 $30.00 on Siegels website search and the $60.00 is on Shreves Ainsworth sale. A third issue of the same type is the $500.00 R285a with about 15 known. But this document looks to bring a second issue year into play now. The owner should get them to a major revenue dealer for examination,

I never noticed this till now but the spacing between SERIES and 1940 or now 1941 varies so it looks like they were applied in seperate opereations.
Edited by therevenueman - 03/21/2019 7:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't bring them near any dealer, nor would I accept any offer they might throw at the owner. These need to be closely held and hand taken to experts for expettization and handled via a major auction house, if sale is desired.

I don't know TOS, but when folks put something online it is public. People who don't understand this, are delusional. There is no expectation of "privacy". Stampman2002 can do as he pleases with the information, even send it to Linns as a finding online in a forum as a tip. In fact I would think attribution of source is a bonus, not a negative.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm...How could the Series 1941 stamps have serial numbers that are lower than the Series 1940 stamps?

Shouldn't they be higher?

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could not agree more vis-a-vis sharing anything in an online public space. It is out there. You make that choice. If you want something kept private do not put it online. Period. Heck, there are even security concerns when displaying valuable items. Best to deal with some things on a personal level unless you are willing to assume some risk.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3553 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top two revenue dealers are experts. They have or are expertizing for the certs. Then on to the PF for the cert. Revenues are where the ROI is at. Have a Beer. Domestic.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 03/21/2019 7:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Berkshire Brewing Steel Rail Ale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I stand corrected in that there were some overprints which are similar.

Still, I'm not convinced. James brought up a very valid point. How can both stamps have serial numbers lower than those used on the issues of 1940?

After all, the whole point of serial numbers is to allow accurate accounting of the stamps. To have these out of order would completely negate the point of serialization. As accountable paper for both the BEP and the IRS, that would not have been likely to have happened.

As far as the suggestion to send notice to Linn's or elsewhere, I'll leave that to the original poster. I don't feel it's my place to put it that far out there. However, I was completely comfortable sharing it here as I thought this was an appropriate forum for the discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a familiar font to the ones shown above.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Serial numbers have nothing to do with the location of any specific stamps. It just worked out that the numbers here happen to be lower. And the owner has already been given the right info about who to show this to. By me. As it happens, I am also a "revenue expert". I recognized these stamps for what they are immediately. And there is very little doubt about them being genuine, the tax stamps total the docketing amount on the document (a very common practice), the cancels all match, and I know that the scans have now been seen by other major revenue experts. My concern was for the owner (not me, BTW) to not be inundated by people trying to buy the item cheaply; this document has SERIOUS value.
Edited by revcollector - 03/21/2019 8:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just because one CAN do something does not mean that they SHOULD do it, at least without asking if they can. FYI- it has now been removed from the original source.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05