Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Series Stamps? New Find?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't get your point, Bart. If this is a genuine new find, then it SHOULD be brought out.

At no point have I made or would make any offers on these stamps or the document. I really don't appreciate the insinuation that I would take advantage of someone with less knowledge. That's insulting.

I hope that these do prove out to be the real deal and that the OP has a nice windfall from the sale of the document.

I think it prudent to approach any new "find" with a great deal of caution and skepticism until it is proven to be genuine. At that point, it should be celebrated.

In the interim, it is equally important for people with knowledge about the item to begin examining the provenance and particulars of the stamps, not just to expand our overall knowledge of the items but to also help build the information about the stamps. This was my intent and nothing else.

Why you would work to have the information removed does not help this and nothing which was done on this site should have given you any cause for concern to prompt such a move.

Again, I just don't understand your point in all of this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't insinuating about anyone. Just making the point that the more people know early on, the more it is possible for someone to try to take advantage. As I said earlier, my only interest was in protecting an obvious novice from being taken. I fail to see why that is so difficult to understand. I have no stake in this item.
And I had nothing to do with the info on the other site being removed, the owner did that on their own. Possibly on the advice of another recognized expert, who also agrees that discretion is the better part of valor early on.
As for whether it is genuine or not, in this particular case I would probably be one of the people asked to examine this item at the PF. I could tell from the scans that it was VERY likely to be genuine. I explained why above. Nothing about this document sends up the slightest alarm, it appears exactly as it should.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Incidentally, I know of at least 2 other seriously knowledgeable revenue people who have looked at the scans without seeing anything wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the questions which came to mind, and which I think germane to the provenance, is where did this document come from? Where did the OP obtain this? Was it something which was passed down through the family, or was this a purchase, whether at a garage sale or through another venue. This could speak volumes about the document.

I don't disagree with the idea that the OP needs to exercise caution. My point is that transparency in the process will only benefit both the hobby and the OP.

In the interests of the OP, it would be advantageous to get as much coverage of this as possible. Doing so would generate both interest in the document and help in the process of making people aware of the rarity of the items on the document. While I understand your concern for the OP's genuine lack of understanding, I think that trying to hide the particulars about the items will not help in the long run. I will acknowledge right here that this is my opinion and may not be shared by others.

Again, I hope these stamps prove out to be genuine and that this becomes one of the news stories of 2019.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot wait to hear what an actual expert has to say.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You already have. Your disbelief does not change the facts.
As to the provenance, it came down through the family from an older collector to the current owner as part of a collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AFTER getting a cert and discussing the potential value with the correct people, THEN spreading the word would be advantageous. It's a bit like winning the lottery; first you get advice from the lawyer and the money manager, THEN you cash the ticket.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's nothing like winning the lottery. People who win the lottery know they have won it. They go to a lawyer to seek advice.

A stamp find, like this one, often people dont know what they found. We want people coming to forums asking about their stamps exactly for this reason. To learn and find new stamps. While you have to deal with online's worst, you also get online's best. We hope the latter folks like you prevail.

It is truly sad, the person had to remove content from original site. That is telling that the bad outweighs the good, even on stamp forums. If we're at the point where new finds shouldn't be publicized on a website, then half the reason people come here disappears. Nearly everyday someone reports finding something, albeit not having much value. Until they post it, it's Shroedeinger's stamp.

Also once the cat is out if the bag, it's out. People should understand that contract with social media by now.

I think the worst advice I ever hear is bring it to a dealer.

Yes let's bring a super priced stamp, to a dealer who is an experienced buyer of items on the cheap, an expert of swindling and wheeling and dealing, despite original intention to have it looked at. The woman who knows nothing about stamps.

I could just hear it. " Stamps used like these go for 1000-2000 (yeah like, but not). I will give you 1800 since I have carrying costs and need to sell. ". In head, she's thinking wow... Good deal; Same dealer pops it on Siegel for 75k open within 6 months and it's on the front page of Linns.

Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do find it funny, that in one thread folks celebrate buying $3000 in revenue stamps from an unsuspecting person on eBay for $6 and in another, it's protect the online poster.

This is the self serving part of thr hobby, it's why it brings out really negative qualities in people. It always comes back to money. "Knowledge is power" is aimed squarely at ripping people off, instead of educating them.

Way to persuade people in the hobby.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spot on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I strongly agree that we are all better educated in this hobby. Many has been the time at a bourse or on eBay when I have told a dealer or seller that an item is worth substantially more than the asking price. Usually it is because of a misidentification of an item. I explain why it is mis-identified. Yes, I also do the same when the person has grossly overestimated an item's value. There are times when I get an angry response, but the majority of the responses I get are positive and with a "thank you." I recall a time when I told Eric Jackson he had underpriced an item because it was misidentified. His response was "thank you" and "if you want to buy it at the listed price it is yours."

It works both ways. I, too, want to be educated. Let's educate each other.

Let's not be cynical!
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 03/22/2019 07:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   07:44 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the specific facts of the original scenario here and there's a lot of oblique hinting going on, but I feel compelled to respond to some of the recent responses.

So now the insinuation is that I'm a thief because I dared to click the "Buy It Now" button from an anonymous eBay seller instead of offering them hundreds or thousands of dollars more for their wares? As if no one else here would have clicked the button in a similar situation.

Dealers and auction houses have "acceptable" licenses to steal from captive audiences and do it every day, but now clicking Buy It Now is tantamount to stealing from someone? Seriously???

Telling someone in person, or someone you KNOW from past experiences, that they've set their prices too low is different from some anonymous online purchase. What if it was something underpriced on Amazon, Wal-Mart, or any other online venue? Would you feel obligated to report the bargain rather than purchasing?

Unfreakingbelievable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

I, too, click the buy it now button when I see a bargain. There are times when I am totally uninterested, such as the case I cited with Eric Jackson. I did not buy that particular item in my story. But if the item is in my wheelhouse of interest, I click the buy it now to make up for the times when I grossly overpay for an item that I need for an exhibit or an article I wish to write.

Nevertheless, I still believe that we need to educate each other. That is the aspect of this hobby that I love and from which I derive the most pleasure.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To not take advantage of a bargain when one has specialized knowledge certainly sounds ethical but is counter to human nature in most commercial transactions. Although there are certainly exceptions, in general I don't believe those who say they wouldn't use their knowledge in this way.

I find it interesting in this thread more about bruised egos and who is "more expert", that in the spirit of spreading knowledge virtually nothing has been said to those of us NOT expert or knowledgeable in these matters as to why these stamps are so valuable or why existing copies are so few?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I think the worst advice I ever hear is bring it to a dealer".

Amazingly enough, there actually are honest dealers out there, who are not only extremely knowledgeable, but will give good, honest advice. On top of which the person was sent by someone who knows that dealer very well and has dealt with him for more then 30 years.
Mostly what I have seen from this thread is that there appear to be a lot of collectors who might not know the hobby quite as well as they think they do. They spend their time denigrating real knowledge, they think all dealers are thieves, and they don't seem to comprehend that there are real reasons to do things in a practical, logical manner when dealing with a potentially new and unique item.
So be it. The important person in all of this is very happy with the advice given, and I am happy to have given it, with no strings attached.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05