Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Series Stamps? New Find?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be the first time that we actually know for sure where any were used as well, unless someone has used a cancel to determine a specific company and location.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even the two on this document are different, with different spacings. Yet one would expect them to be the same if they came from the same office.

The overprints were presumably typewritten. So whoever typed the overprint simply typed Series then rolled the platen and typed 1941. I am sure that person wasn't concerned about making the spacing identical.
Edited by 1typesetter - 03/23/2019 2:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I guess when it is time to update the catalougue this year maybe I can can convince the editors to add this also. A large type Series 1940 on a stock tranfer stamp.

Who will find this handstamp on a Silver Tax Stamp ?
Edited by therevenueman - 03/23/2019 3:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since this $500 already has a cert, it should be easy to get it listed. PFC 458726.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are not typewritten. I recall them as appearing to be a light letterpress, but it has been a while since I examined one in person. It's possible that they were put on by a well made handstamp.
Edited by revcollector - 03/23/2019 4:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well just for fun I wanted to see how many examples of the $500.00 series of 1940 in two lines I could document.

Also found serial numbers 55093, 55095, and 55104 but no digital immage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just passing on the info that this document did get a PFC stating that it is genuine. The number is 559494, although the PF site has not been updated with the most recent certs as of yet.
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
therevenueman,

Here you go!

Spink USA sale 122 lot 1062 realized $500.
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a document with the Series 1940 $50 and $500 stamps, Scott RD62 and RD65. It is the only document I am aware of with the 1940 provisionals.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05