Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Moon Landing Anniversary Stamps Announced

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,885Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CL_Arctos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Happy Thursday, everyone. USPS just released the two designs commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. I don't know about you all, but I think they really missed the mark with these. Pretty boring and it looks like they put absolutely no thought or effort into designing them. Will be interested to see what you all think.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...g-stamps.htm
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm hoping that the sheet will make them look better than the separate stamps. I was also surprised they didn't do a setenant.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6783 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one with the moon and the yellow dot is absolutely pathetic.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this is a start of a new series. Woodstock Music Festival 1969-2019?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
559 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
waiting for the inevitable yellow omitted on this one. :)

I wonder if photo on left is actually from the moon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the older US space stamps.
I agree, these could have been much better.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney: The stamp on the left features a photograph taken by Neil Armstrong of Buzz Aldrin. I'm sure they doctored it up a bit for the stamp, but, yes, it started off as a photo actually taken on the Moon.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The designs are better than the cartoonish drawings so consider this a win.
Al
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm ... underwhelmed. Remove the moon and the stamp can also celebrate the anniversary of the 1965 Northeast Blackout.

Arrows2Atoms, love the speed with which you generated your Woodstock design. Is that a 1965 Grand Prix? I've driven one, great car.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf10, I love doctoring stamps. I actually serviced some covers with my Maya Angelou stamps when that whole mis-quote debacle was going down in 2015. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" - Maya Angelou. "I am the walrus" - Maya Angelou. Etc., etc. Looked pretty good paired up with the actual stamp and canceled.

That is my 1966 Pontiac GTO with a poster sized print of the 2013 Muscle Cars '66 GTO stamp. A complete blast to drive.
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Missing the mark is the understatement of the half-century!

They 'missed' the 2 most significant events of 1969!!

We need a se-tenant for the Mets & Jets!!!
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BaldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Aldrin's face-mask were a shiny 3D-like holograph it would be more interesting. The moon shot is just a cheap rehash of the Total Eclipse issue without the thermal image change. My five year old granddaughter likes to put little stickers on things. Maybe she can get a job as stamp designer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will go contrarian. The left stamp captures the empty solitude of space which was an important experience of humanity in getting there. Typeface mavens will be pleased that Helvetica, correct for 1969, was used.

I agree that the right stamp falls short. I would have preferred a picture of Houston Mission Control in celebration, captioned "Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again." That would have captured the sense of triumph involved in the event.
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heck, if the USPS can come up with 10 frozen treats, certainly there must be 10 scenes from July 1969 that could be depicted, no? Liftoff, mission control, the Eagle, Neil Armstrong, the US Flag on the Moon, I could go on.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6783 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scratch n Sniff Moon landing stamps!
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 03/21/2019   5:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A new stamp, close to the one issued in 1969, using this iconic photo would have been my choice. This photo caused many of us to re-evaluate our place in the universe and brought many things in perspective.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/...lo-nasa.html

Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,885Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05