Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Chinese Paper-cut Art Using Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add agandau to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Several years ago I received a memento from my late Uncle, of two Oriental illustrations but didn't pay them too much attention. Some years later studying them close up, I found they were not painted as I assumed but were largely made with cut paper. Moreover, the paper is in fact stamps. Of the stamps used I can make out Hungarian, Russian and I think Chinese.

I contacted an Orientalist who can read both Chinese and Japanese and they said the characters in the top corners are Chinese. One image is called Floral Tribute and the other is called Four Stringed Lute. I believe my Uncle bought these in the 1950s in Hong Kong, a British colony at the time, on his way back to Australia after working overseas for a few years. The two illustrations could well have been made over the border in China. I don't know if they were solely for tourists or as art more generally. After some googling of trying to find similar artwork it seems cut paper is not a widespread craft, and I think these ones using stamps are singularly unusual.

Has anyone ever seen this style of art before using stamps? Since discovering how they are made they are now two of my favourite pictures.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are stunning pieces of art. I've never seen anything like them before. Your Uncle had a good eye for art.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gettinold - 03/22/2019 01:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
575 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen these off and on over the years. In an older Scott International album I have from a friend, the collector has taped in one of these artworks. I've been told that they were made for the tourist trade using used stamps cut up cleverly to create the colors, although other materials might also be used. Yours looks to have fabric, as well, which I haven't seen before. On yours, the used of stamps is more limited than I've seen on some others where much more is made up of stamps. Doing this must be very time consuming. Since there were a lot of these, I don't think they have a great deal of value -- but I'm no expert. They are certainly pretty and very clever. Try to keep them clean and away from dust, dirt, water, and so on which will damage them. If there's no glass with the picture frames, that might be worth considering. Or just wrap them up and store them in boxes.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26479 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen this style of art before using stamps?

The Australian Philatelist 1988
Note: The chair has a perfin NZIC New Zealand Insurance Co

Edited by rod222 - 03/22/2019 02:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
776 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! These are amazing!
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3544 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I like 'em.
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen this style of art before using stamps?

agandau - Yes, I have. Scanned below from my collection is a watercolor postcard created by artists using cut-up postage stamps. I have several of these postcards in my collection. They were made in Hong Kong and elsewhere to sell to tourists. They are not rare, as they can be found selling on eBay all the time, but they are desirable and sought after by many postcard collectors. Each one is a unique piece of art. Check current eBay listings to look at more of them.

Linus

Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one from my collection.

Linus

Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more, from my collection. I like this one, with a man wearing pants with the king on his "bum." Where have I seen this dude before? He looks familiar.

Linus

Edited by Linus - 03/23/2019 01:15 am
2 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agandau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies, both appreciative and informative. I'm pleased to learn that this was a craft for the tourist market, and Linus' mention of Hong Kong.
DrewM, they were received framed and behind glass and are hanging on the wall. Thank you for your tips.

I don't really care about their value or lack of it; I'm just quite pleased with them. It was quite a creative original thought to have; 'I'll cut up stamps and make pictures'.
One thing I overlooked in my oriiginal post is that the illustrations are about the size of A4, or approx, 12" x 8"
Thanks again
3 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gopartygo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are incredible! I've never seen anything like it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Are mine works in progress?

These are on plain postcard-size card stock, sans water-color accents or other embellishments.

I will leave it to others to name the subjects.

I will also leave it to others to tell me if it is correct to describe each of these as a "collage".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who yanked these out of a bargain box)

Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Each artist has their own "style" and this one is simple, yet well done. That was a very nice find, ikeyPikey, thanks for sharing it with us.

Linus
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 06/06/2019   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are beautiful! I can't believe how intricate. The artist must have had the patience of a saint!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 06/06/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...The artist must have had the patience of a saint! ...

... or a counterfeiter.

Ages ago, working a retail counter, a guy in a hurry dumped a crumpled-up twenty on the counter.

I accommodatingly made change, and off he went.

Mere seconds later, I uncrumpled the bill to find that (as the cops later explained) they cut three corners off of a twenty, add them to three one dollar bills and, presto, now they've got four twenties ... if they crumple them the right way, and run like hell.

Meticulous work, nicely done. The cops said that something along the lines of "We'll never need these as evidence, but the Secret Service like to see them to keep-up on things" and I, foolishly, let them have it.

Shoulda kept it , and mounted it in a small shadow box

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one I got a few weeks ago.

Linus

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05