Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Online Highway Post Office Catalog

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am in-process in developing an online catalog of all HPO (Highway Post Office) First Trip and Last Trip covers. Each First/Last Trip is illustrated with a cover scan (front and back), vintage maps which illustrate each route, and other route details. My wife and I will be busy over the next few weeks completing data entry but the underlying code is all in place. Given the total number of routes and trips (about 1,110), we are missing about 40-45 covers, I am interested in buying these covers or at least getting scans of them for inclusion in the catalog. Once the catalog is complete it will be published on Stamp Smarter free of charge. Please see the bottom of this post for 'want list'.

I find the HPO Highway Post Office (1941-1969) a very interesting part of postal history technology. Growing out of RPO (Railroad Post Office) history, improvements of the national highway system gave the Post Office an opportunity to improve efficiencies for mail stream processes. By processing mail en route and making more of a 'straight line' connection between post offices, HPO mail is a fascinating part of our postal history.

Want List

Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat idea Don!

I have several central PA HPOs and would like to know more about them so I'm glad for the info. I think I have the Harrisburg, Pa. items. I will advise tomorrow.

Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Hal - 03/22/2019 8:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I don't know if this is a first trip cover but it predates what you show in the thread, so I'm providing it.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Don...

I have three Trip 1 - Lancaster, PA to Washington, DC Jan 17 1949
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don:

A huge and time consuming project and a real contribution to collecting HPO covers. Thank you for doing it and making it available to us all at no cost.

Don
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   08:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A huge and time consuming project...

Indeed, quite a few HPO covers

Don
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Do you happen to have information about cachet designers of HPO covers If so, please see my post here:
http://goscf.com/t/67040
Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only collect HPOs from Indiana, and see that you need some of the same ones I also need.
But I do have one that you need, Route 122B Princeton & St.Louis Trip 2. It's odd that it doesn't have a complete address, but the cancellation is correct.

I can't seem to find a Route 2A South Bend & Indianapolis Trip 2. If you have one of these, we could swap them.

Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51Studebaker,
Have you checked the Mobile Post Office Society lately for HPO covers you need? There's a link here for "MPOS HPO Covers for sale to members only":
https://www.eskimo.com/~rkunz/mposhome.html
I just received several from them, all at a dollar apiece.
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am a member but I have been covered up (pun intended) developing the new catalog. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will be able to finish up and turn my attention back to collecting.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   10:52 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just bought a lot of 800 or so HPO covers. I'll be searching through them soon to see if any are on your want list. I've also have some facing and pouch slips as well. I've also come across a 2-3" stack of those slips, but they are mixed with RPO slips and maybe some related to air mail. It's a mix of a mess right now.
Edited by Battlestamps - 06/20/2019 10:53 am
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battlestamps, I thought I'd add my HPO need list (all Indiana):

Need First Trip Covers for:
HPO-2A, South Bend & Indianapolis, Trip 2, November 1, 1958
HPO-121A, Louisville KY & Evansville, Trip 1, September 1, 1953, (canceled "LOU & OWENS")
HPO-121A, Louisville KY & Evansville, Trip 2, September 1, 1953, (canceled "LOU & OWENS")
HPO-293, Indianapolis & Champaign IL, Trip 8, November 22, 1965

Need First Trip Postcards for:
HPO-98, Cincinnati & Indianapolis, Trip 1, July 1, 1952
HPO-113, Indianapolis & Decatur, Trip 2, August 25, 1952

Need Last Trip Covers for:
HPO-2, South Bend, Peru & Indianapolis, Trip 2, October 31, 1958
HPO-114, Indianapolis & Peoria, Trip 1, February 4, 1961
HPO-217, Nashville and St. Louis, Trip 92, October 14, 1966

Need Indiana State Fair HPO Covers for:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   2:06 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sorted them and found nothing from your list or Don's. I had quite a few that made the same trip, but they were different dates or Trip #s. No fair covers either. I didn't see any of those kind, but I came across HPOs that are also FDCs for the stamps which is new to me.
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battlestamps,
I just sent you an email with a link to my draft online catalog (still populating some images).
Don
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Don and all,

I have a few Indiana HPO's but none on your list. I do not think I have ever seen a registered cover with an HPO marking? Has anyone?

Russ

Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen one that's registered, but I just picked up this 10th anniversary cover for South Bend, Peru and Indianapolis, Trip 2 that I'm pleased with.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05