Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Pb28 OR W29 - King George V

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6171 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Starting to look at back of book Canada stamps....Got these 2 stamps below at FIG.1

FIG.1

Now the one called "A" is as far as I know Scott PB28...Colour green as per Unitrade...Now "B" might be W29...Colour Green Kraft..I have no idea what Green Kraft even looks like...See colour difference below on FIG.2

FIG.2

I believe that "A" and "B" are from 2 different plates, which woud explain the bad printing of "A" as compared to "B"

Below on FIG.3-4-5-6 shown oddities on these stamps.

FIG.3...Notice below the yellow line the long white rectangle is father away from the top outer border on "A" and almost touching the outer border as in "B".

FIG.4...Stamp "A" and stamp "B" have very different leaf printings.

FIG.5...Notice the back of the neck lines in stamp "A" and stamp "B"...One is filed almost the th right border and one is not.

FIG.6...Notice the difference on the hair lines.

Having said that, they are obviously 2 different colours..So, bottom line can any one tell me if "A" is PB28 and stamp "B" is W29..??

Robert
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6190 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, Have you checked the word "Kraft" ? It is a kind of paper and I believe that explains the 'bad' printing. By the way, the color of Kraft paper is brownish an it is fairly (almost) porous

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 03/22/2019 10:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6171 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By the way, the color of Kraft paper is brownish an it is fairly (almost) porous

Peter

That would explain the colour of stamp "B"..BUT..BUT..The brownish paper has the best print..Does not make sense..Know what I mean..?

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 03/22/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I asked the same question a couple of days ago.
I have an entire wrapper, I concluded it was the W29 Kraft
It has the year in the lower corners.

The rest of these are stiff stationery fragments poss postcards.

Your "A" scan does not appear to have 1938 in lower corners?

Edited by rod222 - 03/22/2019 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1179 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "A" scan has "19" in the lower left corner, but the cancellation precludes finding the lower right "38".
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1305 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why does it say King George V in the heading?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3114 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "A" scan looks a lot like Rod's U59 File 7961. The key is determining the year date in the right bottom corner, under the cancellation, if that is possible. "A" is definitely not kraft paper, so I am leaning towards PB28.
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dairypac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been working on the same stamps. I think that the reference to green and brown kraft is concerning the paper of the cover, band or wrapper, not the colour of the stamp istself.
Also the description in the Unitrade catalogue at the start of the King George VI envelope section details the difference in designs re the veins in the leaf.
Ross
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6171 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dairypac....I know nothing on wrapper paper..Just noticed the print quality that was different on the leafs, etc...I was hoping that "B" was a W29..?

Robert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05