Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Different Sort Of First Day Cover...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 665Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   9:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, it's not really a first day cover, but it sort of is to me.

This is the one lot in last week's Siegel's sessions that I was interested in. I wasn't sure what the competition would be like, and as luck would have it I was the only bidder, so I was able to get it for about half of low estimate.

The listing writeup was as follows:

Quote:
2c Trans-Mississippi (286). Used with two each 3c and 5c Battleship Documentary Revenues on registered cover from New Orleans to Edinburgh, Scotland, New Orleans Jul. 1, 1898 registered datestamp, transited New York with registry label applied over 2c Trans-Mississippi, London registered handstamps, Edinburgh and New York backstamps, Very Fine and most unusual use to pay the 8c registry fee plus double the 5c UPU rate. Despite the illegality of using revenue stamps as postage, this cover passed through both New Orleans and New York without complaint by postal clerks. Ex Dr. Heimburger. Est. $750-$1,000

Illegal uses of revenues as postage on international covers are fairly scarce, and multiples of two different battleship denominations on the same cover even more so. Beyond that, however, what makes it of more interest to me is the July 1, 1898 date. While of no significance to postal history collectors, it makes it a 1st day (of tax) usage, albeit an extremely unconventional one. IMO, this cover is far less interesting to front-of-book collectors.

I have several 1st day uses (of the Spanish American War tax, unfortunately none from the Civil War tax) of revenues on documents, illegal uses of postage as revenues, and even an illegal usage of a proprietary battleship as a documentary, so this makes a nice 1st-day addition... it would be an interesting topic for a 1-frame exhibit... but I don't exhibit.

Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/23/2019 9:59 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1726 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Jimmy Callender knew exactly what he was doing when he carefully created this cover. Or so he thought, at the time.

Unfortunately, neither Jim-Bob nor some of the various postal employees really understood the regulations regarding sending registered international mail, and which stamps to use, and which ones not to use.

Looks kind of like a "meh, good enough" type of item.

Jim

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8108 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly the son and Wife/daughter of this man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Callender
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   11:10 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the timelines in question, wouldn't it have to be grandson or great-grandson rather than son?

That James T. Callender died in 1803 and this cover is dated 95 years after his death.
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/23/2019 11:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8108 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps. I did not pay close enough attention to the actual dates. Still an interesting possibility.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may have something of greater interest than you first thought if this is Great grandson of the 1803 JTC- That JTC was the drunk journalist who drowned in the James River after outing Hamiltons affair and then turning on his benefactor Jefferson. That was the guy who made Sally public knowledge.

Your JTC Married Sally Seago in 1891 (born Atlanta 1859). Their son Alvin was a WWI pilot who seems to have been decorated.

Just a quick search so did not find a connection from one JTC to the other but would not bet against it yet.
Covers! They have the history.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8108 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating period in history, the post revolution. The Hamilton bio by Chernow that the show was based on is an amazing read.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revc. did you know his son lost a duel on the same field two years before? Man that had to be a hard period for Mrs. Hamilton.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8108 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the bio goes into it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8752 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05