Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Caveat Emptor - Always Read The Fine Print.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,916Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RevHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Saw this lot on Hipstamps last week.

I thought "wow, a pretty good copy of R92a which catalogs $800 plus for $15 bucks. What a great deal. It almost seemed too good to be true. It was. I should have read the fine print.

This is what I received:

When I looked at what I got. Well lets just say I can't post what I said. I was a little angry, a little embarrassed and felt like I got the ole bait and switch.

I went back to the lot to see if I had somehow overlooked something. I did. Here was the description:

I guess this is what he means by a "minor variation". I just hope he holds true to his 100% customer satisfaction and allow me to return the item. At least I wasn't out much money, but nevertheless, a hard lesson learned. Caveat Emptor.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10448 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send it back using his "we guarantee 100% customer satisfaction'
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider this borderline fraudulent, despite the fine print. This is not a "minor difference", it's a completely different stamp with a different catalog number.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8169 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Borderline? LOL
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1302 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above.
Images should be of actual items and not representitive of what you may or may not get!
Edited by No1philatelist - 03/26/2019 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow or the other, this particular post reminds me of online dating, for some reason...

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
579 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send it back. Not a good seller to do that.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I generally refuse to buy from sellers who use "stock" images, I've been burned too many times in the past. Send it back for a full refund.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   01:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I whole heartedly agree with Walkman82. If you cannot show the stamp you are selling, I'm not interested.

Stock photos are either for the ultimately lazy sellers or the unscrupulous, neither of which I have any time or patience for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   07:45 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seller should be reported and banned from the site. I thought this stuff only occurred on eBay, now is happening on Hipstamp?

Valued Member
225 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!

"Stock photos are either for the ultimately lazy sellers or the unscrupulous, neither of which I have any time or patience for."

I use stock photos for low value modern material. I am neither lazy nor unscrupulous. Don't paint sellers like myself with the same tar bucket and brush that this seller deserves.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But you are selling the same stamp. This seller sold a different stamp. Very sleazy.
Valued Member
225 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course. I think this seller is being totally dishonest and this is a very bad case of bait and switch. Hence my tar comment.

I just get frustrated by posters here who seem to think that every item, regardless of value, deserves a high resolution image of the front and back. Given the labor that goes into this effort, I assume that they are more than willing to pay top dollar for all of the stamps that they acquire. At minimum wage, what is the cost of scanning the front/back, uploading that photo, etc? Stock images allow sellers like myself to keep common material affordable. Of course non common material is always scanned at a high resolution, described conservatively with a no questions asked 100%(including S&H) return policy. The same sort of treatment I expect as a buyer of material with what I believe to be a reasonable set of expectations.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8169 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bob - I would just add that what is common to one collector may not be so common to another if dollar value is a measure. Some folks can just write off a $10.00 stamp that has a problem while to others that $10.00 was much harder to expend on a hobby. Would I like great images no matter what? Absolutely Is it practical? No Ibam constantly amazed at the money people spend with Anthony's and NYStamps without good images. Heck, Anthony's usually does no back side images. Talk about a unfounded leap of faith.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
614 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3DZbSlkFoSU

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/27/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RevHound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand why someone would want to use stock images. However, it still doesn't make it any less unethical. It doesn't matter if it is a high value stamp or low value modern material. If you are buying, you EXPECT to get the one you are looking at. What if a person is looking for a specific cancel or shade or grade. What may be unimportant to you may be quite important to another person. It isn't a question of money. The cost is basically your time you expend scanning and uploading. But if you are going to sell stamps in this way, I think that would be a necessary cost and time investment.

Look at it this way, Bob...most people would not buy from a dealer if they knew they were dealing with stock images. People always assume that what they receive will always be worse then what is shown. Doing it this way, will always HURT your business in my opinion. You are inadvertently eliminating potential buyers.

That being said, the only way I could agree with you is if you made it very obvious to the buyer that the pic shown is not what they are getting. For example, adding "STOCK PHOTO" to the pic, or putting it in the heading or calling attention to it in the description in some way. In other words, don't bury it in the minutia. And the stamp you send to the buyer should always be as good or better than the one shown. Don't show a gem and then send something with several faults.
Edited by RevHound - 03/27/2019 8:06 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,916Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05