Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Same Stamp, Different Sizes??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 846Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1004 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was working on my revenues today when I noticed this. I've never seen this before. Look at the scan. I have tried to line up the designs of these two R-66c's at the bottom value tablets. Notice how they are VERY different heights. These were both scanned at the same time - no stitching together two scans. They have very different colors, as well, but I've seen all kinds of revenues with very different shades. Can anyone explain this?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Combination of problems with the perforating machines and varying rates of paper shrinkage. These stamps were issued 6 years apart. The 1871 stamp might or might not be a silk paper as well.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1004 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the backs:
Valued Member
104 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, nice catch, and an amazing difference in size!

Making popcorn while awaiting expert's hot air response proclaiming "Swamp Gas" effect, and the 2 stamps are exactly alike...
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp on the left is longer and narrower than the stamp on the right. Most likely due to vertical wove paper.
The stamp on the right is shorter and wider than the stamp on the left. Most likely due to horizontal wove paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the grade school students are posting again. For those who actually care and don't wish to sound childish, I explained the reason for the differences.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are also different papers. Not really surprising since the paper used by Butler & Carpenter came from several different mills owned by different companies. The smaller stamp has a much more noticeable mesh.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8778 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a striking design dimension difference. I will be interested to hear what an expert says. Interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4049 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The vertical perforation seems to be the same, if I line up the perforation holes on the side-by-side stamps. So the most plausible cause is probably revcollector's initial statement about varying rates of paper shrinkage. The stamp on the right appears to have been printed, then had considerable vertical shrinkage before perforating. I'm sure the horizontal widths are about the same. Still, a nice item to have on a page by itself, showing the differences. Good catch.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1726 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
shrinkage

Do not Google that with "Seinfeld"

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8778 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 04/01/2019   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with above shrinkage. For wet printing, shrinkage occurs upon drying after printing and before gumming across the grain of the paper. Thus, vertical shrinkage occurs on horizontal wove paper.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 846Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05