Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Envelopes From The 50s

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,667Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason I am having a hard time throwing these away.

I assume there is no reason to save them and there are plenty around.
These weren't mine, but I think the history of how some folks collected is interesting.
Mostly mail-order and a few local dealer stock.

Hopefully the picture (not a scan) does them justice.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice selection of envelopes. While I don't remember packets like that, I do fondly remember the little pre-printed glassine that would arrive in my mailbox from H.E. Harris, Jamestown Stamp, and the like when I was first starting out.

I'm partial to old approval books, which I have picked up in auction lots from time to time.

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
76 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some folks on here may have seen them, I have not, and I think they are great. They are the way folks used to collect and as such a bit of history. Can you find an out of the way place for 'em?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
836 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone ever found a stamp in one of those packets that was anything but common? I imagine the stamps used to fill those packets were mostly the penny per pound variety.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of these had stamps in them and to your point, most have around a 25 cent value today.
As other threads have mentioned many of these were marking gimmicks and maybe not of monetary value.
But the history and process of collecting via these packets is interesting to understand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
836 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turtle2900

I agree. Understanding how collections have been built in the past has to include these packets. They don't seem to be part of the landscape today. I have a number of these packets still unopened. They came with a lot purchased years ago. The prices on the packages are less than a dollar and contain up to 500 stamps. Based on the prices on them I'm guessing they were an affordable option for collectors.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Put that GLOBE-TROTTER SERIES envelope on Etsy as a superb example of the commercial use of Art Deco fonts.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For some reason I am having a hard time throwing these away.

Great! then don't,
These are lovely pieces of ephemera, I collect them and have a bundle.
Be a winner, not a binner........
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are the best Rod!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff!

Honor-Bilt was the brand distributed and (I think) owned by H.E. Harris. A lot of packets like this were sold through five and dime and variety stores, as were cheaper albums and supplies.

I was told by dealers that the packets were once put together by kids mostly in the families that owned Harris, Minkus, etc. They did a far better job of handling stamps than was done by the manglers that often assembled the glassine packets sold more recently.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember these packets very well. The various five and dime chain stores like Woolworth, Newberry's, Kresge, etc. usually had a hobby section that had a range of these packets, usually 10, 25 and 50 cents. In the more expensive packets there would usually be more colorful, large format stamps in the window, and the cheaper grades of definitives would make up the bulk of stamps behind,not visible from the outside. I certainly bought my share of these, and the majority of my stuff from the 1950s in my world wide collection (I no longer collect any WW from after 1950)came from these cheap packets. Some of the department stores had a stamp counter that sold these also. In my case in 1950s and 60s Los Angeles it was the May Company (eventually taken over by Macys). And on a trip to Vancouver BC in about 1990 I was delighted to see that the Bay (descended from the Hudsons Bay Company) still had a stamp counter
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing Waddsbadds. I remember those stores well too.
Great to hear how useful the packets were too!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember packets very similar to those shown, being sold in Britain in the 1960s. The places that sold them were also similar, Woolworths and WH Smiths amongst others. When I looked in WH Smiths circa 2011 they had one or two big packets for sale,along with a stockbook, hinges and tweezers. I think I might have bought one or two but my Dad warned me off them as poor value, and would give me his unwanted British and worldwide stamps. He did literally stand by me and help if I bought something from a real stamp shop helping me find the best value and most visually interesting set. I still have my two short sets of East German stamps I bought in about 1968 for 9d (about 25 cents at the exchange rate of the sixties)
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone else remember the cloth drawstring bags of stamps. I don't remember what company sold them, but I believe they were orange in color. I have been collecting on and off since elementary school and I was always excited to save up enough allowance money to buy one. It would keep me busy for quite a while - sorting and trying to identify all the countries.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! Those were put together by Honor-Bilt also. The cynic here notes that each bag was salted with a faulty high value stamp and was mostly composed of very common stamps (as to be expected). But the sorting and soaking led to familiarity with perf gauges and watermarks (plus minor varieties, shades and cancels), quite the lost art today for beginners.

(not my image or bag)

There were also pale green ones. Another brand or time frame or maybe US only(?).
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/04/2019 2:29 pm
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photo. Wow, that brings back lots of memories.
I don't remember ever seeing a green bag, just the orange.
Edited by Wendy - 04/04/2019 2:32 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,667Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05