Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Envelopes From The 50s

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,647Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the bag photo and the amazing description it has on it!!
"...as received by foreign natives and missionaries"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought quite a few of those orange bags, as well as various stamp packets, as a boy in the mid-1970s. They were sold in a shopping mall we used to frequent at Cole's Book Store, which had a small stamp and coin section. It was at this book store that I was introduced to Minkus Stamp Journal and had a subscription for several years as a youngster.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hope this ain't too off topic.

I too save all the stamp collecting related ephemera I come across. Little envelopes, pamphlets, guides, glassines etc..

As was mentioned earlier, approvals came in these little glassine envelopes. I remember getting them from H.E. Harris, if I remember right. Here is a selection of some of the ones I've accumulated over the years. they come from Mystic, Harris, Littleton, Jamestown, Kenmore, Garcelon and 1 unidentified on (in red).

I also remember getting stamps, in packages similar to this, at the local five and dime. They usually had a sortment attacked to cardboard, like these, with an additional glassine full, inside the package. this one is not old, I don't think, but you get the idea.

then there is little approval I rec'd in a collection a while back. I's a single Danish stamp (Scott #28), attached to a dealers approval "card", with a price. From the Globus Stamp Co. Not sure how old it is, but I'd guess 30's or 40's. Nice SON cancel as well.

Then there is this Russian (?) item I came across. I have no idea what it says, but I was told it is also something that would have accompanied a dealers packet of stamps.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions to the thread Spain_1850, not off topic at all in my opinion. I was going to add some additional ephemera myself and now I can. :-)
Thanks again (and thank you for your ongoing journey thread, so inspirational)
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some additional ephemera.
Some of the writing and marketing in these items is a hoot!
And please take note of the Globus Stamp Company moto.

Any good prices on the "Bargain Price List No 114"?
Prince Edward Island looks pretty good; #3 for $40 and 2018 CV is $2,750.

Enjoy!

(Maybe this does need a new thread)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Maybe this does need a new thread)

New threads contribute to entropy, stamp collectors generally, like to go in the opposite direction.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turtle - Thank you for the kind words and thanks for expanding on this. Much of it brings back some memories, especially the Stamp Finder. It's great seeing these relics. I also love old publications, and the ads inside.

I've often wondered if anyone has a serious collection of some of these things. I think it would be great to have a collection of perforation gauges. It seems every stamp dealer and company has had them with their own advertising on them. Probably wind up with quite a few different ones I'd imagine.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1743 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the items that have been shown are delightful! Old stamp catalogues are full of ads for various offers.

These are from Bright's 1912 catalogue:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have a colleague in Melbourne whom collects all (Australian) dealer Ephemera,
I often send him old stuff I come across.

Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for adding to the virtual collection. Great to see the varieties.

I just acquired an old worldwide album yesterday and in the very back last page were these 2 items. I barely looked at the stamps and couldn't wait to scan them and post them here.

I think they are going into my catalogue in a Vario page as is.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Boy's Life" February 1931
Pillar Of The Community
United States
978 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And a cover from Seminole Stamp Co.

Don

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting stamp dealer memorabilia can be a fun endeavor. I have a few items accumulated over the years that I can't bring myself to toss out.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Seminole Cover Don, very nice.

Both the Seminole and J.L. Keffer stamp sheets remind me of the current APS circuit books (I don't know how long they have been around but maybe one influenced the other). I am sure someone on SCF will have some info.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy the dealer descriptions.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,647Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05