Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps That Are Stuck To Themselves

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 724Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
17 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add davef to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently found a set of the president stamps that I believe are from the Ameripex series of years ago. Stamps run from Washington thru Lyndon Johnson.

the 4 sheets are slightly stuck together around the edges of the stamps on one side of the selvage.

Other than soaking in water and totally ruining the gum is there a way to separate the sheets without doing any damage? Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
davef,
You can try freezing them breifly, and then gently trying to pull them apart.
You may get some gum losses, and you may get some adhesion in some cases still.
Another thing to consider is, it is sometimes possible to save some while sacrificing others.
If you have a stamp below that it stuck to one above, after freezing you can try to crease the stamps below so that you end up with just a small point where it is still attached. You can continue to fold this in until it comes free. This is a process I've used many times and results at least in some of the stamps coming out still near perfect.
If the other "damaged" ones are in your country, then you can at least still use them for postage, and get something out of them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've wondered about this also. Thanks ClassicPhilatelist.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33042 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
I've tried everything in the past, generally with horrible results.
My mantra now, is to bite the bullet and soak.

Better to have a clean stamp, with no gum, than a manky stamp, with disturbed gum, and possibly lifted bits of the stamp design.
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had freezing work once or twice on a few stamps (those which were subjected to humidity) but after breaking them free the gum was highly disturbed. So for me suitable stamps get soaked and with new adhesive are used for postage, cheap stamps are ignored and get given away to whomever wants them, expensive stamps get soaked and saved as 'unused'.
Don
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the info. Dave
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, it depends on your objective. So soaking is fine sometimes, other times it's less preferred.
There are also times, I just allow them to remain stuck together...
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soak 'em and get a glue stick, and use them on mail.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moschophoros to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had some (limited) success using Super Safe Stamp Lift Fluid on the selvage of booklet panes, and managed to use my StampLift box when the stamps themselves have stuck together. Doesn't work every time, but I've had some success. Do other collectors still use these?

edit: fixed typo :(
Edited by Moschophoros - 04/07/2019 09:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used a sweat box on these very stamps. I had no success so I finally soaked them. I did have more success with some of the Pacific 98 souv. sheets using a sweat box.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1923 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Davef,

Soaking is generally the last resort, but it is the most effective!

Jack Kelley
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 724Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05