Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Legal Use Of Postcards?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 944Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5262 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I didn't think you could permissibly affix postcards or postcard cut squares to envelopes or parcels for postage.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
677 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:36 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't. Somebody got away with one there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
450 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can't. Somebody got away with one there.

Not one. That same dealer sent me a package with the same set-up and I wondered the same thing.

Did make me smile though!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I've never seen that before.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used single postal cards for mailing labels on packages and first class envelopes with no problem for 10-15 years.Just cant use cut-out indicia. Not sure of the overlapping. Can't do that with adhesives I know.
Edited by PostalHysteria - 04/06/2019 3:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dwwjr56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very interesting use of those. I also have never seen something like.

Another new area to collect!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1194 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostalHysteria, in Canada you see the use of overlapping of same stamps all the time. The important thing is to leave the value of each of them exposed so they can be counted and package is ready to go.

Edit:corrected mispelled word.
Edited by No1philatelist - 04/06/2019 10:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1168 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THE ANSWER, PER USPS 2019 DOMESTIC MAIL MANUAL - THE USE IS ILLEGAL.
SEE SEC:

1.2.4 Paper or Cardstock
A card must be of uniform thickness and made of unfolded and uncreased paper or cardstock of approximately the quality and weight of a stamped card (i.e., a card available from USPS). A card must be formed either of one piece of paperor cardstock or of two pieces of paper permanently and uniformly bonded together. The stock used for a card may be of any color or surface that permits the legible printing of the address, postmark, and any required markings.

1.2.5 Acceptable Attachments
A card may bear an attachment that is the following:
a. A paper label, such as a wafer seal or decal affixed with permanent adhesive to the back side of the card, or within the message area on the address side (see 1.2.7), or to the left of the address block.
b. A label affixed with permanent adhesive for showing the delivery or return address.
c. A small reusable seal or decal prepared with pressure-sensitive and nonremovable adhesive that is intended to be removed from the first half of a double card and applied to the reply half.

1.2.6 Unacceptable Attachment
A card may not bear an attachment that is the following:
a. Other than paper.
b. Not totally adhered to the card surface.
c. An encumbrance to postal processing.

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manual...tandards.pdf

The post card has an unacceptable attachment.

Edited by Hal - 04/06/2019 10:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal - I believe your citation pertains to attachments to cards mailed individually, not cards attached to larger items as postage.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33042 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating, never seen that before.
New Zealand.
Cut out picture from a stamp roll stamp box, passed through.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   05:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is legal.

4.0 Validity of Postal Stationery
All stamped envelopes, stamped cards (formerly called postal cards), and aerogrammes issued by the United States since 1873 are valid for postage from any point in the United States or from any other place where U.S. domestic mail service operates, under the same conditions as for postage stamps in P022.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The use is not an acceptable use of the Post Card. The cards are prepaid for use as postal cards not to be cut for attachment. The citing of the section 4.0 Use of Postal Stationary is a misinterpretation of the rule. The card is to be used as a whole within the US & Possessions, not a make-up postage for other items. You cannot attach a pre-paid postal card or envelope to supplement required postage on any article. Stamps or meter postage only.
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"All...stamped cards...are valid for postage...under the same conditions as for postage stamps in P022."

Those affixed postal cards would never be accepted by my local postmaster. Of course he also rejects use of USPS stamps that were not sold at His local post office. Actual conversation, "No you can't use those." "These are current Forever statmps, it says Forever right on them." "But you did not buy them at This Post Office."
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 944Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05