Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Pages From My Fdr Memorial Issue Postal History Exhibit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostalHysteria to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my introduction page I mentioned I enjoyed exhibiting and ClasicPhilatelist asked to see some pages, so here is a selection from the international post Card section...

If one sees any typos or inaccuracies, please let me know. I'd rather find out here than in the frames in Houston in September.

Send note to Staff
Edited by PostalHysteria - 04/06/2019 3:34 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1315 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and some interesting destinations too!

Thanks for sharing
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6453 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, very nice collection.
I would suggest for consistency use the full phrase 'postal card' or 'picture post card' (depending on the item) rather than mixing those with PC or PPC. Also I'd refrain from abbreviations like that because I personally don't think you should assume anyone is going to know what you are talking about. Clarity is best.

I was also going to mention that cancelled is spelled with two 'l's, except I realized you were a Yank, and you folks prefer the single l version

Also ( just noticed this ) watch your line breaks. That's how you break up a sentence. Keep dates together - example May 11 1934 and October 31 1953 in the second image.
And 2 1/2 pence in the last image.

Sorry you asked now, aren't you.
Edited by jamesw - 04/06/2019 6:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6453 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also want to say I like your use of clear photo corners to hold the cards in place. It might be nice, if you have a scanner, to show a small scan of the front of the picture post cards, maybe with a little description. It just adds a bit of colour and interest.

I'll shut up now....
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree on showing a pic of the reverse, even if it's a smaller inset to save space since you may be limited to xx pages.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
65 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldbeeg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely collection, and like the card to Japan in particular.

Another note on formatting, keep the title lines all either left or center justified (unless the convention changes for a new section).

B.G.
Edited by oldbeeg - 04/07/2019 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all who ventured suggestions.

jamesw - I'm not sorry at all. When working on an exhibit I sometimes spend too much time on one aspect to the detriment of the simplest of others. I am in a revision of this exhibit and material which looks to be a 7-frame (112 pages) effort. I have until early September to get all shipshape. Need all the eyes I can get.

Regarding showing pics of the pic side, I'm afraid this wouldn't do at all in a postal history exhibit. The pic side is totally irrelevant. Of course, in a personal collection we are welcome to do as we like.

Old beeg - could you clarify your comment -"Keep the title lines all either justified left or center...?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
65 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldbeeg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the header/title lines, most are left justified or aligned, except one is centered. I was thinking to keep them all either one or the other unless there is a convention of having them different within individual sections.

B.G.
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pages do not make sense in their current posting order. Pages 1 and 4 are UPU rates, pages 2 and 3 are reduced treaty rates. Then, I agree, the headers need to have a hierarchy of type size from the headers down to the information about each postal item, with attention paid to centering and/or left/right justification. Sometimes you have "International Mail" followed by a hyphen and sometimes by a colon. Inconsistent placement of the year dates in the card captions.

I would not show the reverse side unless it directly advanced the exhibit's story, such as a backstamp.

Page 3, middle card: Edit your caption. The line break of the auxiliary mark's text should happen at the same place as the line break in the device.

I would eliminate the word "domestic" as unnecessary.
Valued Member
55 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought:

Last page - "Assessed 20 centimes due in NYC, charged 2-1/2 pence due at destination"

Why not use 2 instead?
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John B: Random order. I am revamping a 10-year effort and on occasion I would try something different for a page. In the process of seeing which format to stick with.

Oldbeeg: similar response to your comment as to John. Lots of revamping going on in my computer.

Prexie3c: well, I have always preferred the way I have it as in the frames such miniature fractions you suggest are less easily read. But that's just me.

Other commenters: thanks as much, will keep them in mind when I do my final printing.

Re heading uniformity, yes some are section headings, others within a section, and some a trial format to compare with other formats.

If I post subsequent pages I will wait until I have solidified my pages more completely.

Thanks again...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05