Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The United States Washington-franklin Rotary Press Rarities Paper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 875Next Topic  
Learn More...
8033 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Community member cjpalermo1964 has authored a paper titled
"The United States Washington-Franklin Rotary Press Rarities" and it is published here
http://www.stampsmarter.com/Learnin...arities.html

It has plenty of great information on this topic including a good Appendix titled "Do I have a 594 or 596? ľA Collector's Guide to Identification".

This is a good link to supply to the new folks who join us and inquire about the possibility of having a 594/596.

Big thank you to Chris for investing time and effort in this helpful contribution to our hobby.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Figure 3 shows the Hoe & Co Flat Plate Press printing currency. Was the it the same process for printing stamps?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/08/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, according to user "Russ" in 2011.
http://goscf.com/t/12766
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4369 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Chris. Great work.
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice article. Your thoughts are very clear and easy to follow. I struggle with Washington-Franklins mainly because I have never focused on them. Maybe this will be the push to actually check those that I have.

I would make one very minor suggestion. If you could add a photo (call it 6A) that showed a flat plate template actually on top of a rotary press stamp showing the difference it might help some collectors visualize what you discuss.
Pillar Of The Community
3231 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a very nice and informative article on this subject.

Two different types of perforators were used at that time for two different types of printing.

There were the rotary wheel perforators (so called flat plate perforators) which were used to perforate separate paper sheets of flat plate printed stamps gauge 11 x 11 in which two separate perforators were used with one for perforating the horizontal perforations and the other for perforating the vertical perforations while at the same time the larger sheets were also broken down into smaller sheets and panes by the perforators. Thus, sheets come before perforating. A stamp perforated by them is Scott # 552

There was the combination rotary wheel and rotating bar perforator (so called bar and wheel perforator) which was used to perforate paper webs/rolls of rotary press printed stamps gauge 10 x 10 in which one perforator was used for perforating both the vertical and horizontal perforations as well as cutting the printed and perforated webs/rolls into separate sheets. These sheets were then separately broken down into panes by a guillotine. Thus, sheets come after perforating. A stamp perforated by it is Scott 581

See: http://goscf.com/t/56242

Edited by jogil - 04/09/2019 08:27 am
Learn More...
8033 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wkusau,
Thank you for the suggestion. Rather than duplicate existing information, instead I have added a link in Chris's paper to the Bob Allen paper on Stamp Smarter which describes and shows the flat plate template methodology (and images). Note, you may have to force your browser to 'refresh' to see the revision.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
864 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris.. A brilliant informative article.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jogil, thank you very much. Do you have citation(s) to secondary or primary sources or publications for that, or suggestions to look? I'd like to update my master copy of the paper and prefer to have publications as references, when I can.
Pillar Of The Community
3231 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   11:39 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cjpalermo1964: The information can be found in the following: http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ma...rations.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1973 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job. Its good to see useful articles getting written.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29340 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received it in my Inbox this morning........... (Academia)
Look forward to a good read!

Edited by rod222 - 04/07/2020 10:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great work Chris! My only question is about the following sentence: "During the next fifteen years, each of the eight stamp denominations available (with one exception) featured either Washington or Franklin." Please explain because I am not getting it. Seems like there were a lot more denominations available than 8 during the 15 years of 3rd Bureau Issue definitives, and I can recall two exceptions (Madison, Marshall) to Washington or Franklin being featured.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Rhett, that sentence is referring to the period 1847-1861, in which all denominations (1c, 3c, 5c, 10c, 12c, 30c, 90c, 24c) featured Washington or Franklin, so the Wash-Frank series represented a nod to that earlier times. In retrospect the linkage of that sentence to the prior sentence isn't great.

Chris
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 875Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05