Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Interesting Cinderella

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
561 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Calstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Greetings.

An interesting cinderella.

Believe "rabatt spar" translates to "discount savings".

Believe "gutlig b 1945" translates to "valid in 1945".

Believe "nicht ubertragbar" translates to "non-transferable".

"Aachen" is a historic city in western Germany.

This stamp/label was included within a large mixture of cinderellas received about five yrs ago. A treasure-trove of interesting items.

Jim
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting item. I have something similar, but in worse condition. I believe this is an item from the nazi regime whose expiration date came a few months before August of 1945.

Getting rebates for anything donated, or bought/bartered for in Germany of 1945 is not in the realm of reality.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
561 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just learned that "verein" translates to "society". So the header is "discount savings society".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1312 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Believe "gutlig b 1945" translates to "valid in 1945".

It actually says "Gültig b[is] 1.9.45", thus "Valid until 1 September 1945".

"E.V." at the bottom is an abbreviation for "eingetragener Verein" (registered association).
Edited by erilaz - 04/10/2019 11:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
748 Posts
Posted 04/11/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal thought on this item:

In Germany there were al lot of places/cities where people(mostly working class) could buy their everyday groceries from stores at a discounted prices(rabatt)

These stores were often linked to certain factories.

These stores depended/worked best on a large customer base, which enabeled them to get discounts from producers. So a better price wholesale means a better price retail(simply explained).

This stamp seems to me to be part of a savings system, for instance put 50 of these in a booklet and get an additional discount or a certain amount payed out.(something like input was 500 pay out might be 550)
Pillar Of The Community
2251 Posts
Posted 04/11/2019   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Spar" is a grocery shops franchise, quite popular on some parts of Europe. I saw one, just a few days ago in my city (Barcelona, Catalonia).

"stamps" like the one shown, issued by "Spar" and other shops, were actively collected on the 60's and 70's by my late mother and other elders to fix on an "album" and being able to exchange it (when it was completed) for some (by then) desirable items.
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 04/11/2019   04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Spar here is part of the word Rabattsparverein which is, like said, a society made to offer discounts. How exactly the society of Aachen was working, I don't know, but it's a society of several enterprises which work together.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05