Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Do Now?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3084 Posts
Posted 04/13/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, that's me you're talking about. (I may boast, but I don't preen and crow. ) And I consider it a different situation. In the OP's example, the item was delivered very late and assumed lost. If I was the OP, I would have asked the seller what they wanted to do. It may even be that the OP had given up on it and purchased another stamp through a different seller. In that case, the OP would surely have offered to send it back, since they already had a copy. The seller could then choose what to do.

In my case, I consider it just an example of dumb luck. I didn't know what was in there, and the seller obviously didn't know or care what was in there. There are many instances of people seeing varieties or other such in the pictures that the seller obviously missed, and they ended up getting a great deal. Knowledge is Power, as they say.

I'm off to a stamp bourse tomorrow. Maybe lightning will strike again, but probably not. I still have many, many holes to fill, and thoroughly enjoy the hunt. Good luck to all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2712 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But when you received the lot you then knew what was in it. Do you think that the seller really did not care or is it more likely that they did not realize what was in the albums? Is it every man for himself or is it do the right thing or is it in between? Interesting potential answers. And let us not forget karma.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3084 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam. You are bringing up some excellent thoughts that a Sociologist could build a career upon. All of us have spotted something that was amiss and got a great deal (in our opinion). We have also purchased something we thought was a great deal and found out later that we misidentified it and paid too much. I have to hope that it all evens out in the end, but I also think there will always be winners and losers ... I've rarely seen those Win-Win situations.

I'll have to setup a situation in a new thread. Let me think how to phrase it, and we'll see the responses.
Valued Member
376 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i don't sell on eBay, but 2 of my colleagues does.

they often complain about missing post and end up having to block bad seeds or entire countries.

eBay protects only buyers and the buyer will always get their money, because eBay just takes back money to pass back to the buyer with the case.

so if too much mail goes missing or too many dishonest people plague the sellers on eBay, they will eventually disappear and we loose a market.

said colleagues and I work at a stamp auction firm - and till today, we've NEVER had a customer come back in the store with a bag of money because they bought something cheap that was worth a lot more.
but we have had numerous returns because people have overpaid, the law says they're in their right to return, and we're obligated to take it back, even though it's their fault for paying too much.

point of this is of course, that you should always think of the long term consequences if you, yourself, do not set the example and do the right thing.

treat the sellers well!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2252 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but we have had numerous returns because people have overpaid, the law says they're in their right to return, and we're obligated to take it back, even though it's their fault for paying too much.

Where is this statement the law?
Al
Valued Member
Spain
46 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Igrodri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pay to them, of course, contact them by eBay and agree a method of payment (i.e bank transfer).
It is not fair to receive the stamps and not pay.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3542 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   6:51 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have always stayed away from negative pack mentality. People who enjoy it have always puzzled me!

When it is all done and dusted there is only one person who has ever walk and lived on this planet we share that has been sinless. Totally sinless.

Many people come from a position where their comments would have you believe that they live sinless lives are .......
Edited by KGV Collector - 04/14/2019 6:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you know the answer or you would not have asked so pay or return that is how we should be.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05