Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Sheets And Rating Of Sheet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
49 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andklun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I wonder about collecting sheets of precancel or part of sheets. Is there any interest in collecting sheets and if so how do you value sheets? I enclose two pictures of sheets that I have but donīt now if I should keep them or sell them.

Regards

Andklun

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andklun,
There are many who collect whole sheets. The best way to store them is in a sheet book, which is essentially glassine pages that the whole sheet tucks into.
Sheet values are a little tricky. They aren't listed in catalogs, generally you can "estimate" a sheet value based on the value of plate blocks. Just calculate the number of blocks in the sheet, and then multiply by the block value, and then add around %10 - %20 as a premium for the full sheet. This is a "rule of thumb", and how I tend to value sheets. Or, if they are modern, you can take postage value (face value) as value of the sheet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously collected as a set to clearly show that one has a normal precancel while the other shows a dramatic shift.
Valued Member
Sweden
49 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andklun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply. I probably keep them until I decide what to do.

Regards

Andklun
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pnjstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Technically these would be blocks of 100 as a sheet collector would want the selvedge present with the plate number and imprint. Still, they would be of interest to precancel collectors who often like multiples.

Regards,

Joe
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05