Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1895 8c Grant Wmk Question

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 04/19/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a nice backlit view of the stamp?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1164 Posts
Posted 04/19/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a nice find, but it could be possible that it's a "P" rotated to the right, as there is the rest of the "P" curves a bit visible - but as it's much more faded than the rest I also think it's a good candidate for an "I" :).

wtcrowe: Some time ago I made some "research" about the difference between the USIR and the USPS as I thought that they must be different, not only in the "R" and "I" but also "U" and "S". I think the "S" of the USIR is less narrow, for example. So as you mention the difference of the "I": is this just your thoughts as you have seen many of them or did anybody make any research about those two watermarks? As said, they are different and make a premium for some stamps, so some investigation would be interesting.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jb100056 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I realized my Grant error while falling asleep.

I'm not sure what a backlit picture is exactly. Please describe and I will try to get it.

Scott Specialized says "Nos. 271a, 272a must have an identifiable portion of the letters "I" or "R". Single stamps from the same sheets, but showing the "U" or "S" are considered to be Nos. 271 and 272."
Valued Member
157 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an I. It is too centered to be a U, since you would see the other part, and too much is showing of the straight line, the line would be visible to the top or bottom part of the letter to be a P.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A backlit image would one where you hold the stamp up to light so that we can see the watermark that way.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jb100056 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, we will find out at my expense. My first submission to APS is off in the mail now. Wish me luck!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck.
Valued Member
157 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would put money on USIR. The serifs between the you and P are also different from the USIR picture Don posted.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without a clear I or R, preferably an R it is highly unlikely that a certificate for 272a will be issued.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jb100056 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I simply don't know...but will. Life is a dream...

Thanks all once again!
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but ... Life is a dream...

That it is. I think you've got a pretty good chance. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We currently have a 272a listed on eBay, lower part of R. The I and P/U are different from USPS and USIR, I don't see why this can't be certed as a 272a, however, it's appeal to collectors is going to be low because it doesn't have the full watermark. The one in my collection has a full R on it.

It's very easy to tell the difference between an I and a "U" as well as the I and the P. The you body width of the watermark is 5mm wide, while the body width of the I is 4mm. To tell an I from a P, as long as you have more than 7mm of the leg (and it's 4mm wide), then you can determine if it's an I or a P. At the 7mm mark the lower edge of the D part of the P is visible. So this is distinguishable. But as I mentioned before, this won't be highly desirable. But any 8, 9, 10mm portion should be more than enough to verify the watermark as an I, P or U.

EDIT NOTE: Can this site PLEASE stop auto-correcting a capital "U" (without quotes around it) to "you"? So annoying. This thread is riddled with them, and I corrected this 3 times before I realized what was happening.
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 04/21/2019 8:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope it does get a cert but as I said before it is highly unlikely based upon prior certs that a stamp without a full R or I will get one. Just the way it is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5748 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How could you possibly know this? Unless you have seen the watermark of every stamp with a genuine cert it would be impossible to know what they look like.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - I have owned eight copies through the years and own two now. All have had a clear I or R. All have had certs. Of the approximately 75 copies known Siegel has sold most of the available ones at one time or another. They all have had a clear I or R. It is required because regardless of how much analytics one wishes to apply to validate their assumption if an I is what is in question it must be clear. That is reality.

Can you point to any copies that have a cert and have a partial letter?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05