Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Favourite Philatelic Word

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another good color name: ultramarine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of color names I've only ever seen in a stamp catalogue: One is reseda, which, if I'm not mistaken was once used in a Scott catalogue years ago for one of the early Belgian stamps, possibly late 19th or early 20th century. I could not find it in a recent (2015) catalogue so, possibly they just changed it to light green, (which is how the dictionary defines it) to avoid confusion. The name is also a town name and refers to a section of the San Fernando Valley, the suburban area to the northwest of Los Angeles. The other color name that I've only ever seen in a catalogue is "new blue" a bright blue fairly popular on British stamps, and so, described as such in Stanley Gibbons. This 4 P Machin stamp (SG Y1669) is in new blue
Edited by waddsbadds - 04/20/2019 9:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn something new every day. I'd never heard of reseda as a color term before. Some friends of mine used to live in the town you mentioned, though.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
flyspeck - (n) A minute detail often overlooked except when it greatly enhances the value of a stamp. (v) The search for minute details in a stamp that greatly enhance its selling price. This is often done when "making up" an auction listing.

minor fault(s) - while almost if not completely invisible to the human eye these can greatly decrees what your might sell a stamp for but have a lessor effect on its estimated value when the stamp is offered for sale.

Edited by hoosierboy - 04/21/2019 08:58 am
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scribe3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me the colors Sepia and Bistre Brown. Also partial to Se-tenant.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another term I just remembered today, because I had occasion to use it in another thread (the one on the 5 pound Queen Victoria stamp: "unexploded" used to describe an intact booklet pane with all elements undisturbed: covers, the panes themselves, stitches or staples, any interleaves, advertising, etc. The word evokes visions of long buried bombs in the East End of London, and brave young men going to attempt to defuse them... Luckily, most booklet panes don't require defusing
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatcent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with KGV Collector- "kiloware" is pretty cool!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05