Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postmarks With No Stamps.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 04/19/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ireland2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at some more containers that's of coarse is stamp related. I forgot that someone that I got stamps from had a container of various Postmarks. There's no stamps though. Would you do a page of the Postmarks or leave them in a glassine?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ireland2018

Postmarks without stamps. Meter cancels? http://www.meterstampsociety.com/terms.html

If so, check this link
http://www.meterstampsociety.com/Li...orsGuide.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gettinold - 04/20/2019 12:55 am
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gettinold, there was a stamp on it and all of it got Postmarked, but at a latter date the stamp was removed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We can play the guessing game for a long time, a scan or picture would help us help you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2369 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thread is absolutely useless without pics.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a pic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trash
Pillar Of The Community
1977 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using the example posted, it has no monetary value as a postmark with the stamp removed.

It's "value" now is merely research data for postal historians to document the use of the various postmarks - early and late uses, etc. Someone collecting Denton, TX postal history might find it useful. I have accumulations of similar cancels which are saved and sorted for their date information.

Edit 1: A stamp collector might quickly call it "trash", a postal historian might find value in it.

Edit 2: I have 15 pages of Indiana cut-rounds mounted to notebook paper which are totally worthless as stamps, but I have mined numerous eku/lku items from them over the years.

My answer to the OP's last question. No, I would not invest very much time in them except for the few items deemed useful for data purposes.
Edited by John Becker - 04/20/2019 12:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, do you live in Indiana?
Pillar Of The Community
1977 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2839 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at it that way every single item that has gone through the mail, billions and billions and billions if not trillions of pieces, actually have value and are not trash but are postal history. Even if the piece is torn apart and the stamps removed. Who knew.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prior to WW2 and even beyond into the 1970s, there were many postmark collectors who collected these marking in the "cut circle' or 'cut square" format such as John shows. Unfortunately, these often do not show the killer bars or slogans on the machine cancels.

As a Texas postmark collector (on cover of course), I have remnants of several old-time collections of Texas markings that came from such collections. I echo John's comments. They have "research" usefulness but not necessarily monetary "value".

The Postmark Collector's Club has several massive collections of these "cut circles", "cut squares" and "cut 2x4" postmarks, all formed in the first half of the 20th century. There are many otherwise unknown and unreported postmarks found there. At least one of these collections was microfilmed and then later digitized, and is still being used by researchers trying to develop comprehensive postmark catalog for their states.

Fortunately, by the 1980s, even the Postmark Collectors Club was promoting that collectors should save the entire "cover" with the postmark, and that is the way their current collection is being maintained. But the older material is still relevant, although no one is encouraged to collect that way.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05