Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Was Wondering About This Franklin 112 Stamp Part Two New Info

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

124 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dan Townsend to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone ;
Im back again and I really was surprised at all the interest in
this thread of the Franklin 112.
I also thought there was something missing in looking at this stamp so I think I need it updated.
So I researched a little and found a couple of documents that might help.
Which to my surprise is they didn't know everything either .
In fact this is a quote.So little is actually known about the the method of manufacture of grills,in fact so little is known at all about grills, this is written by the Philatelic Gazette 1916 .
I also bought a booklet called United States grills written by Wm. L Stevenson and Lester G Brookman called Notes on the grilled issues of the United States 1940's .
I think there is another book by Lester but it is hard to get ,maybe I need it also.
But I kind a want to get to a point.
The things that make me think was all the things wrong with my stamp
for example what caused the lack of grills?
What caused the embossed creases ?
There are theory's that what caused the lack of grills is that they could be pressing the grills out them self after they grilled the stamps ,crazy but that's one.
Also some think they stacked the paper which caused the weak grills which I can't be leave, my stamp was done to, because of the complete
square of the one grill, they showed in the "Brookmans" book very questionable!
The next question is the two embossed parallel marks
In Brookmans book they describe a marking called the end grill
the description sounds kinda like it but is questionable.
The pyramidal bosses of the grill are produced on the grill roller
by cutting V shaped grooves on the surface .The intersection of length wise grooves with the circumferential grooves left pyramidal bosses remaining.
Sounds good except the pyramidal bosses .I think it could just be
the roller causing a groove but ,I have a problem with that to
to many grooves I see three, maybe they fed the paper several times?
The books are really helpful and one author mentioned collect them but use your own money.
New unused 1869 with gum no grill ,spend your own money.
He doesn't accept the general claim that there was one separate batch of grill less stamps of this issue.
There were a lot of lightly grilled stamps the national bank note company made, so look good.
I left out a lot of stuff but I just added stuff I think was of interesting, I encapsulated so much.
Maybe missed something, a Hugh amount of things to think about.
Thanks for listening.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Dan Townsend - 04/20/2019 7:13 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those that may be interested in this discussion, the previous posts from the OP on this exact same topic are located in these two threads:

http://goscf.com/t/66308
http://goscf.com/t/66442
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Partime - 04/20/2019 2:37 pm
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Partime that is real useful to know where it came from.
Dummy Me
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is interested you can get a free copy
of the Philatelic Gazette volume 6
at this website
https://books.google.com/books/abou...hgQ9AAAAYAAJ
Also check out this booklet I have about grills.
United States Grills by WM. Stevenson and Lester G. Brookman
this was purchased on eBay there might be more around I paid around $8.00 dollars for it.
There are other publications a about grills in this booklet you might try to get also if you are interested in grills.

Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AJ Valente to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This booklet is obsolete. The grills are made by intaglio process, that is, impressions are made in reverse by squeezing the paper into recesses of the grill roller. The grills are also made by a pair of rollers, not the roller-plate method, which has no basis in fact.

-AJV
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks AJ;
For the information .
Edited by Dan Townsend - 04/22/2019 10:52 am
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had to think about this A.J
I don't really understand what is really different and how any process changed
and how they knew the change if nobody wrote it down and the machines are all missing or gone,at least that's what I understand is the problem.
What book would you recommend.
Thanks Dan
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone again;
I just wanted to show examples of what I believe is something similar to
my stamp a Marginal or end roller grill that's in United States
grills by WM, L Stevenson and Brookman.
And what they described as sheets of stamps being grilled at the same time.Also a grilling machine

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05