Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Montreal Post 1939 Mark Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These postmarks are on the back of a March 1939 registered surface mail cover from Clayburn, B.C. to UK. I cannot find any info about the Montreal postmark in the centre that appears to be MONTREAL / B & FON ??

Any information would be greatly appreciated

AQ
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1354 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a wild guess, elsewhere, it's a common corporate abbreviation for Business & Finance DIVision. Also Banking & Finance or Budget & Fiscal, that kind of thing. Would this make sense with the return address?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/21/2019 08:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
530 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it stands for "British & Foreign Division".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26322 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British and Foreign Division (But dashed if I can see it )
http://www.hdphilatelist.com/EPL289.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
537 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, that cover does have a registered handstamp for the Montreal British & Foreign Mail Branch. But it appears the stamp is not tied by that cds as the description states but rather by a --------- station cds from quebec.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26322 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you No1..
I finally see it, not a CDS but a Registration boxed handstamp.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the comments. Like Rod I did not realise that the description refered to the registration mark rather than a cds as stated. Another point is that the registration mark referes to BRANCH not DIVISION as Deshaye calls it at the top of his ad. although he corrects that in the actual text.

At least I now know what the mark on my cover refers to.

I also had never come across the 1 cent more per letter idea. Was that an official policy ?.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05