Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS In Transit--Arriving Late

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 7,542Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

349 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased an item on eBay to be delivered via First Class Package last week with a "Guaranteed Delivery" of last Friday. The item still shows as "In Transit--Arriving Late" on USPS tracking. The last meaningful information on the tracking was showing arriving at regional origin facility in a major city about 50 miles from the town the seller mailing the package in. The seller contacted me today and told me he went to the post office in the town he mailed the package in and the person there (perhaps a clerk or supervisor, unsure) told him that he would check with the regional original facility. The seller told me that if I don't receive the package by this Friday, that he would file a claim with the USPS.

How will the seller filing a claim with the USPS affect me and what should I do to protect my interests in this ordeal?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Torin - 04/23/2019 6:41 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have many items get "lost in the system" that eventually get delivered.
I hope this happens for you also. Be sure to claim your $5 voucher from eBay since it is a "Guaranteed Delivery" item that will be arriving late.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3819 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A least you are talking with the seller. Most people in that position do not talk to me.

But your seller should be given a little more time and if it does not show up it should be a resend or refund.

Quote:
The seller told me that if I don't receive the package by this Friday, that he would file a claim with the USPS

This quote from the seller I find very disturbing. USPS claim has has nothing to do with you it is his deal. He should be saying resend or refund you next Friday.

Next Friday is your day to file a claim for your funds from eBay. Simple as that.

Feel for you with a missing item.

Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The package was mailed on April 16, with a "Guaranteed Delivery"by eBay on April 19. As of April 20, the tracking shows "In-Transit, Arriving Late." The seller said if he doesn't hear more from the person at his local post office that today (April 26), he will file a claim with USPS.

I don't know what filing a claim with USPS means.

Are you suggesting that irregardless, that I file an "item not received" case today?

I'm assuming the $5 voucher for a missed "guaranteed delivery" is for items that eventually do arrive, not for items that are lost by USPS?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7134 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gauranteed delivery by eBay. Priceless since eBay ships a big fat zero.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   2:03 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, I had a Priority (LOL) flat rate package mailed to me last Saturday from a town I could drive to in under two hours. I watched the tracking, and on Monday it was at the Rochester, NY sorting facility. I mistakenly thought 'oh goodie, it'll be here the next day' which is normally the case. On Tuesday morning I looked again only to discover the package was now in Pittsburg, PA ! Having no patience for usps screw ups, I made an electronic complaint on the usps website and Wednesday morning got a call from my Postmaster who said my package was either sorted incorrectly, or the bar code on the priority mail package was read instead of the tracking number bar code, and that the package may be "looping" (her term) because of that. She also said my package had travelled to another town in PA (I can't recall the name) as the usps folks can see thing we can't ("for security reasons" whatever that means). She escalated the problem to a supervisor and also said it could take a few days to straighten out because it was "like finding a needle in a haystack". Tracking kept showing that the package hadn't moved out of Pittsburg even this morning when I looked, and also this morning I got an email from USPS with a 'case number.' Then, lo and behold, my Carrier knocked on my door with the package a little later (she actually reversed her route so she could get the package here sooner than the usual 4pm when she goes by here...she's awesome!. It seems the sorting facility morons stop tracking wayward packages so the customers can't follow how badly they're screwing things up. Bottom line, as my carrier said, they 99.9% of the time eventually show up where they're supposed to go. I'd give it a bit longer, but for sure file a complaint on the USPS website so they make a greater effort to look for it.
Learn More...
9919 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   2:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meanwhile, Amazon is setting the shipping time bar much higher. I live in the mountains of Western NC (not exactly close to a large metro area) and the last 7 Amazon orders I have received were delivered in less than 24 hours. For example, I order some plastic storage boxes to hold some covers last Sunday night at 7PM my time. They landed on my doorstep on 2PM Monday. This is for USPS 'standard shipping' and no 'Prime' service.

I am thinking that Amazon has cut a deal with USPS to expediate/prioritize their shipments.

In any case, Amazon is changing my ship time expectations.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had thought Amazon had the USPS use a separately delivery run for Amazon packages. Amazon deliveries are often separate/

In our area the drivers appear to be using personal car vehicles. We usually get other mail from a traditional US{S mail truck.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7134 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon is spending 800 million dollars this year to decrease delivery times with Prime to one day. Amazon is spending money. eBay just sets expectations and lets sellers sink.
Learn More...
9919 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my area, I get all Amazon deliveries in the normal USPS mail run.

But my point is that this is becoming the new online commence delivery expectation. Sellers will need to figure out how to meet these kinds of expectations or risk losing business. If the venue can help with shipping, great. But should sellers count on the venue? In many cases, stamp sellers have an advantage in that they can ship in an envelope. It might be time that stamp sellers start factoring in overnight shipping into the cost of the item. Or perhaps make overnight the default and let the buyer opt into a slower, less costly shipping method.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the Los Angeles suburbs, and I've seen the Amazon deliveries migrate from USPS vans to deliverer's own personal vehicles, to now those deliverers in big (tall) dark blue Amazon vans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen over time in other metropolitan areas where the volume warrants it.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 04/26/2019 3:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7134 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A tough nut to crack. Heck, I get $20 cases of V8 juice from Amazon with Prime in one day. Mr Chewy is also amazing utilizing Fedex. Very tough to beat unless you have tight contracts in place and a lot of business for the delivery company to lose.
Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I completed a missing mail inquiry at the USPS website. How long should I wait before opening a case on eBay for an item not received?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3819 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Torin

If it was me I would start the claim to get your funds back from eBay now or after mail Monday.

The process will take some time before eBay refunds you.

This gives the seller some more time for the mail to be delivered if not you get a refund in a week. But to make things complicated the seller can ask eBay for an extension in time and receive a few more weeks before he has to refund you.

So by starting the claim with eBay it is going to take some time.

If it was me the claim would be started. It also get the the seller into top gear to find your items.

The seller should of talked about resent or refund but they did not.
Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I opened up a claim via eBay and the seller responded by entering shipping information, basically a tracking number, which was different than the one originally provided to me. I responded back that I noticed you changed or entered the wrong tracking number and that I expect a refund soon. Didn't know that sellers could alter/change the tracking number.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philatarium, I saw one of the oversized "Prime" vans in my neighborhood today for the first time.

They weren't delivering anything to me, but to the neighbor across the street.

Those are some impressive looking trucks!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 7,542Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05