Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sea Post Courtesy Cancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 713Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I fished out three lovelies from a bargain bin last weekend. These appear to all be from U.S. flagged ships, cancelled in the summers of 1934 and '35. They are on letterhead of the SS President Harding, President Monroe and President Polk. It looks like whomever created these had the ships' postmasters provide not only the standard Sea Post cancels, but all the auxiliary markings that were in use. Some interesting stuff here! Several of these saw very infrequent use and would probably be quite rare on cover. I don't really understand the Harry Deitch marking on the SS President Polk sheet.

Was it common practice to cancel courtesy sheet like this? Can anyone post other examples?

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 04/25/2019 7:32 pm

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Particularly like the Polk.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   04:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are likely "favor" cancels (and markings), obtained by a collector who travelled. I've acquired the same sort of markings from small town post offices as I travelled around my area.

I would imagine that Harry Dietch was a postal clerk on the USS Polk, and this device used by him in his capacity in that position when signing his name would be required.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good info. Can anyone explain the SPO T4 cancellation on the SS Pres. Harding sheet? And what does the abbreviation U.S.T.P. mean?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SPO = Sea Post Office. T = taxe or tax. This was a postage due marking. 4 = code letter (and not a rate). From the 4 used in the killer of the same ship and the numbers used in killers for the other President Lines ships, 4 was used for SS President Harding.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1444 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hy-brasil! And I figured out that USTP stand for U.S. Trans-Pacific.

I wonder if there is a listing of which sea post numbers were assigned to which ships. I see that 24 shows up on all the SS Pres. Polk cancellations, and 15 was assigned to SS Pres. Monroe.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05