Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1962 New Mexico And Arizona Statehood Error? Or What

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 846Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Passing trough some fdc I find those ones. Same cachet but different issues. do you have some clues? Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1356 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, the owner probably just used the same cover for both. He may have been unable to get the N. Mexico cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 04/25/2019 10:15 pm
Valued Member
Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The owner has Pa address, which I can confirm. If is true what you state: How you can have 5 weeks before official date an cover. For me it is an enigma.
Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Artmaster sold blank, unserviced cachets to collectors in advance of the first day date for them to submit themselves. The collector made an mistake, or chose the mismatch intentionally. Impossible to tell now. Nothing more than a curiosity.
Valued Member
Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wright it is a big curiosity for me. Mr. B. Converse, the grand father of my friend, was an passionate of clocks, and according to is grand son him past 19 to 12 hours every day in his workshop. the collection was made for him by his wife because she wanted him stay with her in the house. the point it is: for her the stamps was just a pice of some valeu paper for correspondence. do are others cases like this? or it is just an semi or isolated case? what I know she buy everything in her hometown.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just looks like an error to me. (An accidental or deliberate error on the part of the owner.) No extra value.
Edited by Partime - 04/25/2019 11:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many cases like this. Believe John Becker when he says it is just a curiosity, with minimal value besides.
Valued Member
Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys. Not the value was the question, just about how you say, the curiosity to be clear for me how can happens.
Valued Member
Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, my replay it is not to contradict or put in questions your knowledge. My answer after I read several time your answers, it is:

1. who will go in New Mexico from Pennsylvania to stamp an cover of 3 4 or 5 cents?

2. Supposition: If I can have early an cachet covers how I can mistake obliterated in other state? This mean that the city postal stamp on covers in fact do not means was done in the city where was suppose to be stamp. In this case means that no FDC could be considered been real.

3. Everyone can know when a stamp will come in the market, so, we can order early the quantity we want: mint, blocks, FDC, etc., and we will received after, but we can not interfered with the obliteration's because this it is own by a sole location or identity. This I know.

Please explain me and to others if I am wrong. If it is the case sorry for disturbing. I am not expert.

Thanks.

P.S. Looking to yours replay, I can state , in my own opinion that it is the mistake of the editor. Happens. they will never states this, so, they will never accept. But for us the collectors what it is? We will consider error?, waste?, etc. The answer will come from you expert guys and the other collectors. Only GOOD know.
Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The procedure for obtaining FDC's was different in 1962. There was no grace period like today.

Here is the New Mexico announcement flier to be posted onto PO bulletin boards. Note the postmark deadline of Jan 1 for an issue date of Jan 8. Collectors typically remitted their money and cachets with a light pencil notation in the upper right corner to indicate a desire for single, pair, block, etc. Mrs. Converse did all this by mail.

And the similar bulletin board announcement for the Arizona stamp with a postmark deadline of Feb 9 against an issue date of Feb 15:

Valued Member
Canada
136 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys. much to learn about proceeds across years. 1962 I was not born yet. Funny way for covers in that time and also good business for post office. Been this the case of the cover, I will go buy one or trade for one. I like have complete years.

Thank you again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 846Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05