Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo Covers Post Your Own

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this. Come from a commemorative set. Cover and medal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gettingold: >>> The 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing is fast approaching. Wonder if there will be an issue to honor it. <<<

Did you miss the announcement ? A very controversial stamp will be issued July 19th 2019.

You mean this one? https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...g-stamps.htm
What's the controversy?

I would expect there to be a pile-on of 50th anniversary souvenirs this summer. The Bureau of Eng. & Printing has devoted all three of their 2019 souvenir cards to the topic and they sold out in February.

I was surprised at how many Apollo covers I had when I went through my collection. I've been interested in Apollo 13, since the Tom Hanks movie came out, and also have that "Moonlanding" cover that Makanudo posted above. That one got a double-take when I came across it the first time.

Apollo 4, 5, 6 were all unmanned flights. The initial Apollo missions were renamed after the tragic fire in Jan. 1967 that killed the first three Apollo astronauts. https://www.popsci.com/blog-network...llos-2-and-3

Edited by GregAlex - 04/26/2019 5:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These two covers came out of Dad's collection. I assume they were made in vast quantities for the collector market.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just realized I've actually spoken to one of the astronauts shown on a cover posted by lithograving: Vance Brand (in the upper right). I did a phone interview with him for a magazine article I wrote back in the 1990s. He had an incredible career. He was one of the original Apollo astronauts and would probably have piloted the command module on Apollo 18 if the program hadn't been cancelled. He acted as one of the Mission Control Capcoms (communications liaison) for Apollo 13, talking the crew through the aborted mission. Apollo-Soyuz nearly ended in disaster itself; during reentry a switch was left on that allowed a control thruster to vent propellant into the cabin. Brand passed out and all three crew members had to be hospitalized after splashdown. After Apollo-Soyuz, he commanded the first operational Space Shuttle flight and then flew two others. He had one of the longest careers of any astronaut, 1966 to 2008.
Edited by GregAlex - 04/27/2019 01:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
608 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522

Yup. Missed the announcement of 3/20/19. The controversial issue you refer to pertains to a living person (Buzz Aldrin) being depicted on a stamp?

GregAlex

Thank you for the link. Hadn't seen the press release on this one.
Edited by gettinold - 04/26/2019 11:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sold these on eBay last year sometime. Not my thing, but it was someone else's, so all good.

Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pair of stamps that will be issued in July. There are actually two astronauts depicted in this stamp - Buzz Aldrin who is the guy in the spacesuit and who is still alive - though there is no way to actually see him - just the suit he is wearing; and, also if you look at the reflection in his faceshield you can see the astronaut who is taking his picture - that is Neil Armstrong, though again all you can actually see is his spacesuit. I am not concerned about the living person not being depicted on US stamps issue, since if you think about the original 1969 stamp, it does depict Neil Armstrong stepping onto the surface of the moon and he was very much alive at that time. It depicts him in a spacesuit so like the new stamps coming up it is only the spacesuit and not an image of the actual man. Tempest in a teapot in my opinion.

If anyone wants to create some interesting covers you can get most of the original 1969 moon landing stamp FDCs and event covers and unused stamps for very minimal amounts and you can add these new stamps and fun cancels to them to create double interest covers.

Edited by Kimo - 04/27/2019 1:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Envelope with sample cachet apparently sent to customers as an example.

Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Herman Herst, more commonly known as Pat Herst, was an old-time Nassau Street stamp dealer for many years before he moved to Shrub Oak, New York and continued with his highly prolific and energetic stamp dealer career. He was the complete package - he not only sold stamps, but he prepared countless FDCs and FFCs, he wrote books about stamps, he lectured about stamps at stamp shows, and he even had his own local post in Shrub Oak, NY that he often used when he sent out his mail and catalogs and such. His local post labels featured photos of his German Shepherd.

Edited by Kimo - 04/29/2019 01:49 am
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info on Herman Herst. I love the Shrub Oak Local Dog Post
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's really cool to see all the different covers that were made for this historic event. Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got inspired by this thread and picked up a few more space covers. Note that the Apollo (20)4 cover is also in error, as that mission was unmanned.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1215 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That Apollo AS-204 cachet is full of errors. AS-204 was the original number for the mission that ended the lives of astronauts Grissom, Chaffee and White. It was later designated Apollo 1. The cover actually commemorates the launch of Apollo 4, also known as AS-501, which launched on the date in the postmark.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the cover preparer used an old cachet for this cover. AS-204 was to be manned.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 05/08/2019 08:06 am
Valued Member
Cambodia
10 Posts
Posted 06/02/2019   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blastoff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Cambodia
10 Posts
Posted 06/02/2019   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blastoff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05