Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo Covers Post Your Own

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,949Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   09:58 am  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plugged 9 discussion - turns out some early Apollo covers were in this mix. In fact, I believe I see one three of these covers slightly up-page. Ok ok, so up the PREVIOUS page.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/For.../000563.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by knick1959 - 09/02/2020 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So Rismoney ,I cannot answer that question about the background on the per-fins. I only can say that I have examples of there use on the following. Philgraf ,Astro Documenta, KSC VIP cards and a Crew emblem cachet cover. Most of the examples are on the Rover/Earth Sun and Landing craft on the Moon Space Achievement Issue.However I have few examples on the Apollo 8 Moon Surface and Earth stamp and the 10 cent Moon landing Issue Scott's C 76. I will post these later.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckildegaard to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all awesome, everyone. I'm hoping when the Artemis missions begin I can have some covers honoring those.
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the Astro Documenta covers. There are four different cancel types, the first is a example of the KSC visitor center type.Note the rounded top of the capsule and squat appearance of the Saturn Five is the trade mark look. These where process at the visitor center as souvenirs where people gathered to watch the launches who where not able to obtain a car pass to the specific areas within the Space Center for launch viewing.The second is a Patrick AFB machine cancel,a Canaveral machine cancel and the KSC post office machine cancels.

Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so here are the other per-fin types I spoke of,Apollo 17 seems to be the only mission that these exist for? Enjoy.

Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the VIP cards which were given to invited guests at the launch viewing areas within KSC property and the Visitors Center. Enjoy

Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AstroCachet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope no one minds me bumping this fantastic thread with some new Apollo covers! I present an Apollo 16 U.S. Embassy - Chile cover, signed by the (I believe) NASA tracking station commander, Chester Shaddeau. Next, I have an Apollo 11 PRS cover signed by Captain C.J. Seiberlich. Finally, an Apollo 17 Grand Bahama Tracking Station cover signed by the commander, Thomas Morris. I really have an interest in the tracking station covers for whatever reason.

Edit: I forgot to add one of my most recent purchases, the Doc's Local Post Apollo 17 cover, numbered 20/100.

Edited by AstroCachet - 07/17/2021 12:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I own a small share of this one so I am posting it. No cachet, no signatures, some inking issues but the best one there is and ever will be for Apollo covers; a FDC too.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/17/2021 7:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the recording of the cover being cancelled:

LR6SsDMlKrw

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/17/2021 7:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7401 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PPG - You own
Quote:
This cover was canceled on the Moon by astronaut Dave Scott on August 2, 1971, during the Apollo 15 mission. It carries two advance, hand-perforated die proofs of stamps celebrating the U.S. space program. Smudges at the bottom left are believed to be "thumbprints" Scott made with moon dust using his space-suit glove.
Courtesy of the United States Postal Service
?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I and the other 300+million US Citizen taxpayers all own a piece of this. If you are a US Citizen rodgcam, you too have a piece.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7401 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I figured.
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AstroCachet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had no idea that cover existed. Considering Apollo 15 is one of my favorite missions, I'm a bit ashamed!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1337 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope no one minds me bumping this fantastic thread with some new Apollo covers!

I appreciate it! I'd lost sight of this thread and there have been some great additional posts since my last visit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
565 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That cover from Apollo 15 is on exhibit in the Postal Museum in DC. Seen it many times.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,949Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05