Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo Covers Post Your Own

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,743Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That cover from Apollo 15 is on exhibit in the Postal Museum in DC.

It was also displayed at one or more domestic US shows. Have a photo of one such display.

Likely explains the use of the image of the moon on a number of Express Mail stamps, even as "The Moon" is currently a DPO.

Good to see some folks appreciated my posting of the cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/21/2021 4:12 pm
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SoupCase to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen another one of these. What do you guys know about it?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
294 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a "Marg cachet" first day cover, of nominal value.
I like this cachet!

John
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SoupCase to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John,

I gather from the letter inside that this was some type of promotion from Foxboro Instruments. So this is a thing that companies did/do? Have "cachets" created?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
294 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely.

I haven't seen many in the last couple of decades, but it is probably still being done.

The magic of the "First Day of Issue" cancellation to the general public is hard to explain. It is a novelty that is not often seen.

In philatelic circles, however, FDCs are considered mostly very common. There are those who collect them, but, in my experience, it is the cachets that matter. In my situation, I am intrigued by cachets not produced in the thousands (Art Craft, Artmaster, and Fleetwood are the monster cachet makers). Every "first" cachet by a cachet maker is considerably more valuable than the others, usually. The hand painted cachets are popular, as well as early FDCs in general. It is all about the art for me. Some of the mass produced FDCs are beautiful as well. As contrived covers made for philatelic purposes, some purists look upon the whole area of FDC collecting with snobbery, and look down on those who collect them. That is nothing new...

It seems to me that a person should collect what is of interest to them.

John
Valued Member
10 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goblue79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apollo 8
Valued Member
10 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goblue79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apollo Soyuz
Valued Member
245 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apollo 14 (January 31, 1971 – February 9, 1971) was the eighth crewed mission in the United States Apollo program, the third to land on the Moon, and the first to land in the lunar highlands. It was the last of the "H missions", landings at specific sites of scientific interest on the Moon for two-day stays with two lunar extravehicular activities (EVAs or moonwalks).

USS Hawkins (DD-873) was a Gearing-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. Following the war, the ship saw service in the Korean War and in the 1970s.
On 9 February 1971, Hawkins again participated in the space program as a backup recovery ship in the Atlantic for Apollo 14.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,743Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05