Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Duck Stamps Used As Postage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 668Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any idea why these have postal cancellations?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
751 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were on that portion of a hunting license that got mailed back to the state game commission reporting a kill of another animal, probably deer. Someone who owns one still on license should correct me on the details. The duck stamp was not used to pay postage.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to make a joke and suggest Air Mail, but I know that wouldn't fly.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jamesw - hilarious!

It's too bad they are not still on cover/piece. That would help with the mystery. I've not seen a postally cancelled Federal Duck stamp before.
Pillar Of The Community
4074 Posts
Posted 04/27/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with revenuermd. Here is the instructional paragraph on a Minnesota license:

An entire 1949 Minnesota license showing where the hunting stamp was typically applied. No doubt some hunters applied the stamp to the back of the postcard 1/3, or returned the entire license enabling the hunting stamp to get a postal cancel.

A 1950 license:

A 1951 license:

Louis was apparently a very poor hunter or a very poor reporter of his annual bag! His poor skill is our good fortune today.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. It does look like a postmark done at a post office.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the 1948 report was several months late. Thanks for the background.

Joe
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 668Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05