Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Scarce Stamps That Have, "Unlisted Scott Value".

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am a big fan of local US stamps, specifically Pomeroy's. My local US stamp collection has a number of odd stamps that that have unlisted catalog values. In the Scott catalog under value it just says, "---".

What exactly does this mean? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just means Scott doesn't know. Could be worth $0.50 or $5000.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not traded/sold often enough to give a value. Need to check actual auction sold prices to get an idea of price.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is quite a mystery. Will those values forever go undetermined? Is there an example of a US stamp that had an undetermined value for long time, then all of a sudden get updated?

Here is 2 pages I scanned from some of my US LOCAL Post.
Does anything here look like it could be a forgery? Thanks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5587 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgeries probably not. Reprints most likely.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by redwoodrandy - 04/28/2019 1:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As the unpriced stamps surface and go to auction they eventually are listed in the catalogue.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Reprints I understand are not forgeries. It seems I might have another unused Pomeroy chocolate brown in there. Most of these have what seems to be original gum, judging from the front edges with appear to not have any gum residue. Thank you everyone for your help.
Edited by NanoPhilatelic - 04/29/2019 02:26 am
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nano- Philatelic definitions are important. And, before I clarify the situation on the Pomeroy remainders, the first rule of philatelic scholarship is to assume that what you have is the most common variety, or item, until you find enough information to positively conclude otherwise. Scott's catalog rarely lists values for stamps that were not issued by the government or private entity that did the postal service. It is not an indication of value in such cases and generally, such stamps have little value.

On the Pomeroys stamps you have, almost all are not genuine stamps issued by Pomeroy. See a scan of the letter from the grandson of Pomeroy's printer's (Gavit) to noted philatelist George Sloane here:
http://www.rfrajola.com/2k19/pomero...itletter.pdf

It basically states that the printer sold the "remainders" to Scott Stamp Company (in 1895 this happened). The Pomeroy stamps you have were from this immense hoard of printed stamps that were not issued. Scott apparently marked some "Reprint" - so these stamps, while not forgeries were never issued or intended to be issued by Pomeroy. Some past students, such as Henry Abt, believed that Gavit also sold the printing plate, and/or dies to Scott and that Scott printed even more.

Most of the other "stamps" on your scans were printed by Hussey and company for sale to collectors. So, even though some may have been printed from original plates, they were not done by order of the original proprietor of the post. These have little, if any, value. They were simply produced to satisfy collector needs.

Your "C&W Bridge" stamps is a "mock" bogus post and a fantasy, not a forgery and not a fake. I added to and mounted the collection formed by George Sloane (the person who corresponded with Gavit in above link) and that collection is online here (see frame 2 for "C&W" stamp):
http://www.rfrajola.com/mocks/mocks.htm

add-on: I should also mention that Pomeroy's was NOT a local post although most catalogs lump together the 1844 Independent Mail Companies, including Pomeroys, together with a couple express companies and local posts under the convenient header of local posts.

Independent mails is a great field to collect and study. There is now an abundance of good resource material available (some less reliable than others). Try buying some real Pomeroys stamps or covers from a knowledgeable auction house or vendor.
Edited by Richard Frajola - 04/29/2019 11:33 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the post Richard, very interesting information! Wow!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back thirty-five years ago in 1984 I sold at auction the great pioneer collection of Pomeroy's formed by Pitt Petrie. The catalog for the sale includes a lot of useful information. PDF file of the sale is here:
http://www.rfrajola.com/catalogs/rcf14.pdf
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05