Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is A Folded Letter With A Private Die Stamp Considered A Stampless Cover?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,476Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Boyd's was not a part of the U.S. Post Office - it was a private company that made its profits from picking up and delivering letters within the City at a time when there was no Post Office provided home delivery. Boyd's was one of many such services around the country and they all had arrangements with the local post offices to provide this kind of private service to tie into the actual postal system. The label is a label, not a stamp. It was made by the private company at the private company's expense for the private company to keep their books. There are still local posts today that make their own labels and carry letters privately outside of the postal system. I think that John Beckers suggestion of not calling it a stampless or a stamped letter is a reasonable one. Or, you could call it a "Boyd's local post letter" which is the kind of description I tend to see most often in auction catalogs and price lists. By the way, Boyd's was quite prolific and such letters with these labels are not overly difficult to find.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kimo

I couldn't agree more. I think I've seen more Boyd's stamps (labels) than any others. Hussey's comes in a close second. From what I've seen in Scott's the value of this item is minimal. I find the content fascinating as the subject of the letter, Robert Morris, had somewhat of a history. After his death, his son Thomas managed his affairs. Thomas died in 1849 in New York. Henry W. Morris is the son of Thomas Morris. Unfortunately the letter is unsigned and undated so I'm guessing when I say this letter is from father to son. Whoever wrote it seemed to know the recipient wouldn't have to guess.

http://historicindentures.com/categ...bert-morris/

Found this online regarding letter content.
Edited by gettinold - 04/29/2019 08:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If a folded letter with a Boyd's local post stamp indicating local post service is a "stampless" letter, what do you call a folded letter with a Boyd's handstamp marking indicating local post service? Collectors of carrier and local post stamps would only refer to the second as a stampless cover.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,476Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05