Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mount Sizes For Classic Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been thinking of using mounts for classic stamps as I print out Steiner pages. I have seen mention of specific Vario pages that would work for most classic stamps.

Does anyone know which size mounts (Showgard/Scott) would be the most useful for stamps in the classic era? I am considering buying a set of Showgard strips containing a number of different sizes along with a guillotine.

Thanks in advance.

Dale
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
25mm/26mm is the most common size for definitive stamps (for example, Great Britain Penny Black). 30mm/33mm is needed for taller stamps (for example, US banknotes). Those two sizes will provide 90% or better coverage. Unless you also collect blocks of 4 or sheets.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
also keep some 24 mm around, it is very useful. If you are interested in pre-cut mounts-cost a bit more, but they do save a lot of time when you have a lot of the same size material to go through-consider some 22 x 25 mm, and 22 x 26 mm.

If you have some world wide material, sometimes 27 mm is helpful.

Seems like a lot of minor differences, but I find that the right sized mount does make a long term difference in the visual attraction of the page.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, please note that the "sizes" being listed in mm in the responses are not the mount measurements in mm. For example, mount size 25 (strip) is for mounting stamps with vertical stamp measurement around 25 mm; the actual mount height is around 30 mm. The strip mounts are numbered by the stamp height they accommodate, not by the vertical mm measurement of the mount. And U. S. banknotes would be prone to slip around in a size 30 mount (vertical); size 27 or 28 mounts (vertical) are right for these.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic US stamps are mostly 27mm high. There's enough variation that a decent number will be 28mm. A few are shorter (pictorals mostly). You'll need a handful of other sizes for large-margin imperfs or stamps with selvage. The most useful sizes (19th century US) are 25, 27, 28, and 30.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1149 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Philazilla. I find 90 percent of the time 27mm is more than adequate for pre-1870 US classics. Sometimes 30mm is necessary for large-margined examples. For vertical multiples I use 25mm.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On rare occasion I get a banknote stamp that won't fit in a size 30 mount:

Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just commenting on the guillotine; I bought one, and did not care for it. I find that a nice, heavy pair of Fiskar shears works quite well. That said, with expensive stamps; cut the mount without the stamp inside said mount!
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with the guillotine is different--I am a huge fan. With scissors there is the chance that they will slip. The guillotine makes one quick cut and it is always straight. I started with scissors and quickly realized I cannot cut a straight enough line every time. To each his own, but I thought I would give an alternate experience.
Learn More...
6797 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mount sizes for US stamps by catalog number http://stampsmarter.com/features/Mo...USScott.html

But of course early classics can vary greater depending upon the stamp margins, but the above link gives you the typical size for US stamps.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using my Showgard guillotine since 1975. Thousands and thousands of cuts and still ticking.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United Kingdom
244 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use 24mm for Great Britain definitives, gives a nice even 2mm margin around the stamp.

I also use a mount guillotine as I just don't trust myself with scissors :)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05