Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Cent Revenues Double Perforations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 766Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
7 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Brett litchfb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. Could someone help me with this stamp please

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
in the late 1890's-1900 the fad of adding extra perforations to stamps was common. these exist both vertically horizontally and diagonally. some are no more than a few extra holes part way into the stamp. note the differences in hole size and spacing of your example. while a few legitimate examples could exist this is the most likely reason for your pair.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
7 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brett litchfb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply. I have checked other sites and couldn't find that particular perforation so I thought it maybe scarce or rar. thank you again for update on this item
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
819 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would someone do this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there was either an article or mention of these some time ago but memory fails me as to where I saw it. as an said there is currently a stock page lot of these currently up on e-bay. imo I would not attach any extra value to them and consider them damaged as far as collecting is concerned. if I come across the reference I will post the info here.

Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good article on the extra perfs: http://www.battleship-revenues.com/...FreakoF.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revinmn thanks that was the article I was referring too and could not recall were I saw it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5347 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While dramatic diagonal freak perfs are most certainly manufactured and are usually considered bogus and "damaged goods" by most knowledgeable collectors, parallel extra perfs like those shown in the OP could in fact be legitimate. Logically, that makes sense: a sheet accidentally fed through a perforator a second time at the time of production would likely not have extra perforations at bizarre angles, but rather very close together with another set of perforations going in the same direction.

When I find examples still on document (not common at all) I will pick them up, assuming I am not paying a premium, as examples of legitimate freak perfs. I don't consider them to have large premiums, but make for an interesting contrast to manufactured examples.

Here is an example:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7369 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating
Valued Member
Australia
7 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brett litchfb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone for your feedback on this matter still unsure if real or fake but I will continue to research and watch this forum. I do agree that perforations are not even and therefore makes me wondering if it is a forgery. I have checked the article on century revenue by Robert mustacich fig 1 no 2 real although vertical perfs not even. Fig 1 no 3 the same, fig1 no 4 a forgery perfs way out, fig 1 no 9 real perfs in-line
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector is correct in saying legitimate examples of double perforations exist and are not common used on document. butler and carpenter had a lot of problems early on. I would not pay a premium either for them. based on your scan I think yours is not legitimate.
Valued Member
Australia
7 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brett litchfb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to revenuecollector and m and m for your response and expertise on this subject I shall put it back in my U. S. Album with other ones that also maybe fakes which I will try and post on this forum at a later time. I have 2 cent George Washington side face stamps with different perfs 10x10, one imperf top and bottom perf 10 x10 on the sides and a couple 11 x11 and 11 x 10 1/2 once again thank you for your reply. kind regards Brett
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 766Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05