Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 5054 Vs. 5054B

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 905Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RonD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not long ago I received these two stamps from eBay and I can't seem to figure out which one is which. They both look the same and have the same "microUSPS" position. The only difference is that one of them is from a booklet of 10 while the other one is from a booklet of 20. And I've hit a stump on which is which? Anyone been down this road before and can offer me a suggestion on how I can tell the difference?

Ron
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the section on booklets in the back of the Scott Specialized catalog, the booklet of 10 is oriented vertically 2 wide by 5 high, and booklet of 20 is horizontally, 2 high by 4 or 6 wide depending on which side of the double-sided pane you are looking at. Unless there is some minor difference in die-cutting not mentioned in Scott, it would appear that singles from the corners would be identical from both booklets, but singles from along the sides would differ by which side has the single straight edge.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John for that information. One stamp has a straight edge at top while the second stamp has the straight edge on the right side.

I'm thinking that the stamp with the straight edge at right might be from the booklet of 10. If it was from the booklet that was 2 high it would have to have the straight edge either on top or bottom (like the other stamp does). Does that sound right to you?
Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is my interpretation from the catalog listing that SE at left or right is from booklet of 10, SE at top or bottom is from booklet of 20, based on the overall orientation of the booklet panes, but I don't collect these so others may jump in with a correction if I am incorrect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 5054 is the number for the stamp; 5054a is for the booklet pane of 10 and 5054b is for the booklet pane of 20. All singles are cataloged as 5054 regardless of which booklet they came from.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thank you again for that information. I don't have the Scott Specialized catalog and the regular Scott Vol. 1 didn't give the detail that you gave. If nothing else I know more right now than I did an hour ago!
Thanks again John.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck, I did see that a and b differentiation in Scott. I use Mystic pages and I've noticed from time to time they don't display on their supplements some of the varieties. All I saw on the page was "5054". I might need to investigate Scott supplements for the future and drift away from Mystic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hope this helps. From the 3/21/16 issue of Linn's.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those images Robert. I'll take a closer look at that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ron, I think the listing is for the entire booklet, not the individual stamp. My experience has been that stamps from the same printer, same design, are the same except for the booklet format (10 to a pane, 20 to a pane).

If it were the Ashton-Potter printing, it would be a different gauge on the die cuts.
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it were the Ashton-Potter printing, it would be a different gauge on the die cuts.

While this is true for the coil versions of these stamps, the booklet versions all have the same die-cut gauge, regardless of printer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're right on the booklets; my mistake.

That means the only real way to differentiate the two would be the plate numbers. Ashton-Potter starts with a "P"; Banknote Corporation starts with a "B".
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There can also be differences in the location of the microprinting. That is the case with the 2016 flag stamps under discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are other minor differences in APU vs. BCA flag stamps from recent years. In both 2018 & 2019, the dates on the stamps have had a different intensity … one dark/heavy, one light. This alone is enough to identify them, although I never seem able to remember which is which.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 905Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05